Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
02-19-19, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 03:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
Q1. For the VHF to AIS700 connection, do I really need the E70196 converter?
A1. Negative. The AIS700 should simply be connected to an available spur socket within the backbone. You last diagram correctly showed that it had been connected to one of the spur sockets of a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.

Q2a. I have an Icon IC-M422 VHF. It has NMEA IN and NMEA OUT leads on it. I noticed on the AIS700 that its power cable has NMEA 0183 Hi and Low Outputs and Inputs. Could I just connect that cable to the VHF? If so do I use Hi or Low?
A2. Negative. The AIS700 is not designed to function as a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridge. While some MFDs feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface which may permit the AIS700 to be interfaced via NMEA 0183 to the MFD, Axiom MFDs do not.

Q3. If not and I need to use the converter kit as shown in my latest diagram, I assume all of those wires on the power cable (with exception of the power cable) are just insulated ends not connected to anything.
A3a. It is unclear which power cable(s) you are referring to. If referring to those on the AIS700, indeed it's NMEA 0183 leads will not be used and should simply be insulated.

Q3a. Then the backbone cable delivers the position data to the converter which is then delivered to the VHF radio. Correct?
A3a. Correct.

Q4a. Lastly, I forgot to add in an RMK-10 to the diagram. I want to install it next to the Axiom 9 at the helm to only control that MFD. I noticed in the box today that it looks like it connects via a Raynet to Raynet cable. Since I already have a 30' Raynet to Raynet cable going out of that MFD to the other MFD how can I connect this RMK-10 to this display?
A4a. Axiom MFDs each feature a single Ethernet Network (RayNet) communications interface, permitting them to be interfaced to one other compatible device having an Ethernet Network communications interface. Should the MFD need to be interfaced to additional devices having an Ethernet Network communications interface (ex. RMK-9/10), then a HS5 RayNet Network Switch will need to be installed within the system. After doing so, the Ethernet Network (RayNet) communications interface of each MFD and RMK-9/10 would be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q4b. I don't want to control the Axiom 7 with it, only the Axiom 9 it will be next to. I first assumed the only way to do this would be to get another 30' Raynet to Raynet cable and run both to the Nav station where a HS5 switch would go, but I'd rather not get into all of that if I dont have to.
A4b. Unlike Axiom Pro MFDs, Axiom MFDs feature a single Ethernet Network (RayNet) communications interface, prohibiting the RMK-9/10 from being additionally interfaced directly to the Axiom MFD. Accordingly, it will need to be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch as indicated within my response to Q4a.

Q4b. How is the RMK-10 powered, from the network connection only or do I need to use the additional power inlet?
A4b. A Power Cable is included with the RMK-9/10 to supply it with power. Alternatively, the RMK-9/10 may be powered from a FLIR 4113746 POE Injector. The latter option would eliminate having to additionally chase power leads to the location of the RMK-9/10. If using a POE injector, then an appropriate length of RayNet(F) to RJ45(M) Cable would be used connect the HS5 RayNet Network Switch to the POE injector and from the POE injector to the RMK-9/10.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-19-19 03:19 PM