Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Gs165 Issues
02-19-19, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-19 04:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Gs165 Issues
Hello,

Issues I am encountering:

MFD is over heating. To touch the unit it feels extremely hot at times almost too hot to keep my hand on it. I intend to add some fans to cool the unit from behind.
Is this normal to require additional cooling?

Random system power cycle on its own. I suspect from the over heating?? It is as though I just turned it off and on again.

I am loosing random squares of sonar chart recordings of about 1/2 mile. Recently I had a square of sonar live info that would flash on then off repeatedly.

Today I started the MFD and my entire system had reset to default settings. I have lost All waypoints and all information saved on the MFD. Sonar chart data that I have recorded was not lost.
Is there any way of recovering my lost waypoints?

The unit was used on another boat without issue and only since the recent install on a different boat have I run into these issues.

A general opinion on the situation with any pointers on how to sort it out would be helpful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-19, 11:10 AM
RE: [CA11] Gs165 Issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Drifter2,

Large monitors utilize a significant amount of power for illumination and correspondingly generate much heat. The gS-Series MFDs Installation Instructions specify that the installer ensure the MFD is installed within an enclosure of suitable size and be permitted adequate airflow. Installation a fan (to vent heat from the space) or air conditioning the space behind the mounting surface is a common installation practice. This is particularly important when the mounting location will expose the MFD and/or mounting enclosure to direct sunlight in hot climates.

It is recommended that proper ventilation be provided to the MFD. After doing so, should the MFD continue to power cycle, then it would be recommended that you respond with the MFD's temperature diagnostics (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE; Select the gS165 MFD from the list of devices and respond with all temperatures listed within the Product Voltage and Temperature section of the listed diagnostic information for the gS165 MFD.
06-04-19, 11:38 PM
Hello,

I have installed a fan and the MFD seems to have stabilized with regards to the random power cycling. I have been using it every day for a week and it has only happened once.

Do you have any ideas on the other problem:

“ I am loosing random squares of sonar chart recordings of about 1/2 mile. Recently I had a square of sonar live info that would flash on then off repeatedly.”

I have noticed that the locations that I am having this problem is my main fishing reef and my home port. Eg the two places with the most sounding data.
My main fishing reef will no longer record soundings. I just have the square of chart blank except for a few small patches that it does record and update. It’s annoying because this is were I lost fish and Want to use this function.
You noted in another thread that leaving the sonar chart logging on all the time can cause issues??
I pretty much leave it on all the time.
Is there any recommendation to make it record in this area properly again?
06-05-19, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-19 08:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Drifter2:

Q. Do you have any ideas on the other problem:

“ I am loosing random squares of sonar chart recordings of about 1/2 mile. Recently I had a square of sonar live info that would flash on then off repeatedly.”

A. I can't think of any reason for the reported issue other than degraded operation resulting from the continuous utilization of the Sonar Logging feature. Accordingly, I would recommend that you try using this feature only when needing to log sonar soundings for a new area. Should the problem persist after making this change in how the system is used, then please use a smartphone to record video of the MFD's screen when experiencing this issue in order that we may better understand the problem. Please additionally identify the coordinates of any location where you have experienced this issue.