Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FishAlarms
05-05-16, 06:30 PM
FishAlarms
I need some HELP with my fish finder. Last year I purchased and installed a Dragonfly -5 Model E70306 on my 17 ft. Boston Whaler. The unit did not help in identifying mackerel for bait (in 100ft or less water) or striped bass/and it seemed the fish signal was continuously ringing. My previous fish finder was very effective-so I had a very frustrating year. I sent the unit to Raymarine and they indicated it was functioning properly. I am desperately looking for some help this year:

Fish Alarms-I want the FISH alarm on-what should the Shallow and Deep fish limit “values” be as I want these Limits to be totally ignored-not considered?
How do you suggest I adjust the “Fish Sensitivity” (if at all?) for bait fish?
Is the 1 or the 10 more sensitive?
Sensitivity adjustments-The Manual suggest “for optimum” performance keep the Gain/Contrast/and Noise Filter on the “automatic”. Does this make sense? Any suggestions?
I am trying to keep the finder simple-looking for bait fish-mackerel in less than 100 ft water AND for striped bass in less water. Any ideas you have will be much appreciated.
Dan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-16, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-16 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: FishAlarms
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

Regarding Fish Alarms, this it is recommended that you verify that your Dragonfly display has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update and if not update its software accordingly. Dragonfly display's may be configured to alarm when fish are detected above the Fish Shallow Limit, below the Deep Fish Limit, or will alarm when Fish are detected at any depth (FISH DEPTH LIMITS->OFF).

Increasing the value of the FISH SENSITIVITY Fish Alarm setting will decrease the threshold level for the strength of the returned sonar signal which will trigger the Fish Alarm. As such, increasing the numerical value of Fish Sensitivity setting will cause the sounder to be more sensitive. Should one desire to detect bait fish, then the Fish Sensitivity level would be adjusted to a higher value than would be used to alarm for larger fish.

With respect to Gain/Contrast/and Noise Filter sensitivity features, the AUTO setting is the most commonly used setting. However, should you find that your Dragonfly is not satisfactorily marking fish in the AUTO setting, then you may want to consider increasing Gain and Contrast settings and possibly decreasing the Noise Filter setting to mark more fish. Should the Fishfinder application be alarming when fish are not actually present, then you may want to consider decreasing Gain and Contrast settings and possibly increasing the Noise Filter setting.
05-07-16, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-16 10:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the assistance. I will be sure the software is current and try the other suggestions.
06-21-16, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-16 11:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Unfortunately, I continue to have basic problems with my fishfinder.
I have the fish finder alarm "on". I enter "1" sensitivity because that should be the least sensitive setting. The "1" setting causes the fish alarm to go off on a regular basis and fish are not around.
Is there anything else you recommend to address this issue?
thank you,
Dan
06-21-16, 11:07 AM
Dan,

Should the Fishfinder application be alarming when fish are not actually present and reducing the Fish Alarm sensitivity, then you may want to consider decreasing Gain and Contrast settings and possibly increasing the Noise Filter setting.