Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] upgrading Raymarine system
03-04-19, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 01:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] upgrading Raymarine system
Greetings,

I am upgrading the old Raymarine electronics on my 2007 Beneteua 49 with new Raymarine equipment. We use the vessel to cruise the Chesapeake, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
The current electronics:
1. Raymarine Autohelm 6002+ SG3 core pack autopilot
2. Raymarine ST 60 depth sounder
3. Raymarine ST 60 Tridata with speed
4. Raymarine ST 60 Wind
3. Raymarine E 120 MFD

I am proposing on replacing everything except the wind/speed and depth sensors with the following;
amount name
1 Axiom Pro 12 RVX
1 AIS 700
1 Auto Pilot Head p70s
1 ITC 5
2 Display Head i70
1 cable sonar-Axiom
1 cable I70 to ITC 5
1 cable for 70 to 70
1 cable radar-Axiom
2 SeaTalkng 5-Way Conn
1 seatalk 1 seatalkng
3 termintor
1 evo 400 autopilot
1 Quantum 2 radar
1 sonar transducer

Can you please review and comment on the attached integration diagram

Attached File(s)
.xlsx  Pavane Raymarine dia.xlsx (Size: 783.13 KB / Downloads: 232)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-19, 01:35 PM
RE: [CA11] upgrading Raymarine system
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum skidston,

Please note that a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone features only two SeaTalkng Termination Plugs. One SeaTalkng Termination Plug will be installed within each of the backbone's two unoccupied backbone sockets found at the two opposite ends of the backbone.

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will not be used within the system which you are building. The GA150's cable will be connected directly to the coaxial GPS antenna socket located on the MFD's Power/interface panel.

The SeaTalkng T-Piece, SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors, and iTC-5 will be daisy chained to one another via appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng backbone Cable.

It is recommended that the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone be powered from a dedicated, switched 12VDC power circuit which will be connected to a SeaTalkng Power Cable. The SeaTalkng Power Cable will be connected to a spur (white) socket which will be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

At the time of this response, it is recommended that a standard VHF antenna be used with the AIS700 rather than an antenna which has been tuned specifically for use with an AIS transceiver.

Each p70S, the EV-1 CCU, the ACU400, each i70S, and the AIS700 will each be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The Axiom Pro RV MFD will be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via any of the following options:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable
03-10-19, 03:26 PM
Thank you Chuck. I responded to you after the * below and modified the attached diagram. Please review and comment.

Please note that a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone features only two SeaTalkng Termination Plugs. One SeaTalkng Termination Plug will be installed within each of the backbone's two unoccupied backbone sockets found at the two opposite ends of the backbone.
*Noted, I made several changes including only 2 terminals.

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will not be used within the system which you are building. The GA150's cable will be connected directly to the coaxial GPS antenna socket located on the MFD's Power/interface panel.
*Noted on both accounts. Moved GPS to connect to FD and removed the converter and replaced with Ts

The SeaTalkng T-Piece, SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors, and iTC-5 will be daisy chained to one another via appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng backbone Cable.
*Noted, based on changes above and this comment these are now daisy chained

It is recommended that the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone be powered from a dedicated, switched 12VDC power circuit which will be connected to a SeaTalkng Power Cable. The SeaTalkng Power Cable will be connected to a spur (white) socket which will be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.
*Noted, I added 12vdc power and will use the existing switch with power relay

At the time of this response, it is recommended that a standard VHF antenna be used with the AIS700 rather than an antenna which has been tuned specifically for use with an AIS transceiver.
*Potential problem - the Shakespeare 5396-AIS Galaxy Little Giant AIS/VHF Antenna is already mounted at the top of the mast with LMR400 Ultraflex coax. I know I may not get some lower VHF channels. Any other problems?

Each p70S, the EV-1 CCU, the ACU400, each i70S, and the AIS700 will each be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The Axiom Pro RV MFD will be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via any of the following options:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable
*Noted, I believe each device comes with the version of the noted cables that I can connect to the back bone.

Attached File(s)
.xlsx  Raymarine digram 3 10.xlsx (Size: 996.15 KB / Downloads: 221)
03-11-19, 08:57 AM
skidston,

Additional diagram notes:
The diagram includes a "50m" reference above the MFD. Please note that the maximum transducer + extension cable length for RV transducers is 16m. Should the MFD and RV transducer need to be separated by a longer distance, then it would be recommended that an Axiom Pro S MFD and a RVX1000 3D CHIRP Sonar Module be purchased instead of an Axiom Pro RVX MFD. The RVX1000 may be located within 16m of the RV transducer and then RVX1000 may be interfaced to the MFD by an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable(s).

Q1. I made several changes including only 2 terminals.
A1. The diagrammed changes to the backbone appear to be good.

Q2. Moved GPS to connect to FD and removed the converter and replaced with Ts
A2. Noted.

Q3. Based on changes above and this comment these are now daisy chained.
A3. Noted.

Q4. I added 12vdc power and will use the existing switch with power relay
A4. No SeaTalkng Power Cable is shown within your diagram.

Q5. The Shakespeare 5396-AIS Galaxy Little Giant AIS/VHF Antenna is already mounted at the top of the mast with LMR400 Ultraflex coax. I know I may not get some lower VHF channels. Any other problems?
A5. VSWR failures may be reported by the AIS700 to the system. Recommend changing the VHF antenna.

Q6. I believe each device comes with the version of the noted cables that I can connect to the back bone.
A6. For planning purposes, the i70S and p70S are supplied with a 400mm (15.7in) SeaTalkng® Spur Cable (A06038).