Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New Axiom Install
03-07-19, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-19 04:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] New Axiom Install
I am currently installing a new Axiom system that includes; 1-Axiom 9 Pro, 1 Axiom, 1-M232 Flir, 1-Quantum2 Radar,1-RCR card reader, and an RMK 10.
As the new system will tie into my existing SeaTalk 1 system that includes an ST7000+ autopilot and course computer.
I am installing a SeatalkNG to Seatalk1 converter at my chart table. The new network will consist of an HS5 Network switch that will tie the Axiom 9, FLIR, Radar, and RMK10.
From the HS5 unit, I will be using a Raynet cable to tie my helm station into helm station starter kit backbone. The helm station will contain the Axiom 9 Pro and the RCR Remote card reader. The ST1 to STng converter will make the tie into the course computer at the helm. Please see an attached drawing that I have made.
OK, here is my dilemma. starter kit backbone instructions indicate that the new NG network can have only 1 power supply if tied into another system. Since my existing course computer has its own power supply do I disconnect it and power the existing ST1 system from the starter kit powered backbone since the backbone is connected to the powered converter.

TJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-19, 04:22 PM
RE: [CA11] New Axiom Install
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TJ,

The ST7000+ is an autopilot control head. What model of autopilot course computer is presently installed onboard the vessel? Please additionally specify the models of all other devices within the currently installed SeaTalk system.
03-07-19, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-19 07:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the response and the welcome. The only info that I have on the course computer is a small medallion that says course computer 400. The other devices are all ST60 wind, depth, speed, multi and an ST600R remote at the chart table
03-08-19, 09:06 AM
TJ,

The Type 400 Autopilot Course Computer and ST60 Instruments are compatible with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit which has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. The Type 400 Autopilot Course Computer features two SeaTalk port, which in turn will support two SeaTalk busses. When using these devices in conjuction with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, two SeaTalk busses will be created. One bus, which will be powered by the autopilot course computer, will be used to interface ST7000 and ST600R to the autopilot course computer. This will permit the autopilot to be operated irrespective of the power state of the rest of the system. The second buss will link the daisy chained ST60 instruments to the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The other end of the daisy chained ST60 instruments will be interfaced to autopilot course computer's second SeaTalk port. The red lead of the SeaTalk Cable connecting the daisy chained ST60 Instruments to the second SeaTalk port of the autopilot course computer will not be connected to the SeaTalk port's red terminal. Instead, this lead will not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting. This act will ensure that the autopilot does not in turn supply power to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
03-11-19, 07:51 AM
Please excuse my lack of complete knowledge of all of the Raymarine systems and nomenclature. I will be making the seatalk1 to Seatalkng tie-in at the helm station ST700+ unit. If I am understanding what I am reading in your response, I need to cut and insulate the red wire that goes from the ST7000+ to the Type 400 course computer. is that correct?
I have attached an updated drawing to show the cabling and locations tie-ins of the new units
03-11-19, 07:58 AM
Q1. If I am understanding what I am reading in your response, I need to cut and insulate the red wire that goes from the ST7000+ to the Type 400 course computer. is that correct?
A1. Negative. I am suggesting that you will need to create two SeaTalk busses, one for the control head and remote. The other will be for the instruments and connection to the ST-ST1 Converter.
----- SeaTalk bus 1: ST7001<->ST600R<->Course Computer ST Port #1 (connect all leads of SeaTalk cable to course computer)
----- SeaTalk bus 2: ST-STng Converter<->ST60<->ST60<->ST60<->Course Computer ST Port #2 (connect only yellow and shield leads of SeaTalk cable to course computer)
04-05-19, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-19 09:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have followed your advice and run a dedicated bus connection to my course computer and have isolated the ST 60 units. I have also cut and made safe the Seatalk to STng converter adaptor cable to the system red wire (12v Positive lead). The system fired up and while I have an indication of depth, I do not have any of the wind information on the display.

There is an issue with the 9Pro unit turning off when the bow thruster is activated, and yes, it is a completely separate system including wiring to their own breakers. The autopilot control buttons are located next to the 9 Pro separated by <2". Is it possible that I need to place a ferrite on one of the cables?

Another issue is with the preloaded cartography. I purchased the Navionics package on the 9Pro and naturally, the Lighthouse chart system was included. I received MSD cards for both and have registered and update both. The chart page also shows CMap however I did not receive an MSD card for that program. In order to register and upgrade I need to have a card, did the card just not get packed or is there another way to handle the program.
04-08-19, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-19 10:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1. I have followed your advice and run a dedicated bus connection to my course computer and have isolated the ST 60 units. The system fired up and while I have an indication of depth, I do not have any of the wind information on the display.
A1. I assume that this means that 1) the ST60 instruments have been interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been installed as a backbone component and that 2) the ST60 instruments are only being powered by the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. If so, then this condition would have absolutely no impact upon the ST60 Wind Instrument's ability to display wind data from a compatible wind transducer which had been interfaced to the wind transducer terminals of the ST60 Wind Instrument. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test the wind transducer. Should the ST60 Wind Instrument be able to display wind data and not be passing data to the remainder of the system, it would be recommended that the Axiom MFD as well as the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter each be updated with latest available Raymarine product software updates.

Should the ST60 Wind instrument display wind and the remainder of the system be unable to display wind, then please attach an updated diagram to this thread for further analysis.

Q2. I have also cut and made safe the Seatalk to STng converter adaptor cable to the system red wire (12v Positive lead).
A2. See the response to Q1 regarding how the two SeaTalk busses and two SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters should be interfaced to the system and should be updated with the latest available product software update. When so configured depth and wind data should be available to the MFD as well as to the autopilot.

Q2. There is an issue with the 9Pro unit turning off when the bow thruster is activated, and yes, it is a completely separate system including wiring to their own breakers. The autopilot control buttons are located next to the 9 Pro separated by <2". Is it possible that I need to place a ferrite on one of the cables?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject ... particularly the last couple of paragraphs of this FAQ. This condition is most definitely resulting from a failure to electrically isolate the marine electronics system from electrical equipment having high current demands (i.e. thrusters, winches, pumps, macerators, engine starter motors, etc.). It is not sufficient to simply install the electronics on dedicated breakers if the same battery(s) are responsible for supplying power to the electrical equipment having high current demands.

Q3. Another issue is with the preloaded cartography. I purchased the Navionics package on the 9Pro and naturally, the Lighthouse chart system was included. I received MSD cards for both and have registered and update both. The chart page also shows CMap however I did not receive an MSD card for that program. In order to register and upgrade I need to have a card, did the card just not get packed or is there another way to handle the program.
A3. The MFDs feature no pre-loaded cartography within their internal memory except for the base world maps (not intended for navigation) displayed when the Navionics, C-Map, LightHouse, and SiriusXM Weather cartography are chosen to be displayed. When no chart card is present within the system, these base world maps will be when corresponding icon is chosen within the Cartography tab of the Chart application. Raymarine offers MFD bundles which include a single chart card ... Navionics, C-Map, or LightHouse. Chart cards are not registered during the product registration process (although the MFD's product ID identifies which (if any) chart card was packaged with the MFD) and one would certainly not register a separately purchased chart card. While Raymarine recommends that customers register their products, there is no need to register a product, a chart card to download product software updates.
05-18-20, 02:04 PM
Chuck,
I've given up trying to get the model 400 course computer to work with the Axiom system and have purchased a new Evolution EV1 and 400 ACU. The only parts of the original system described in this thread are the ST60 instruments.

My question#1 is since the old ST1 system tied to the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter at the ST 7001+ control head and the new ACU utilizes the p70s control head, where do I tie into the system? is it possible to not use the p70s and just leave the ST7001+ in place? The manual makes reference to an iTC5 unit. is that something else that needs to be purchased before the system will work?

Question#2 is the new ACU came with a new rudder reference transducer, do I need to change the old one out or can I leave it as is.

Question#3. The manual shows that the EV1 is connected to the same 5-way block as the control head. Is it possible to enter anyplace else for the EV1, I do not have any more room in the helm pod support to add another wire.
05-21-20, 02:03 PM
TJ Champion,

Question#1 is since the old ST1 system tied to the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter at the ST 7001+ control head and the new ACU utilizes the p70s control head, where do I tie into the system? is it possible to not use the p70s and just leave the ST7001+ in place? The manual makes reference to an iTC5 unit. is that something else that needs to be purchased before the system will work?
A1-You will wire the converter into the backbone pieces that come with the pilot. It will give you enough connection points to connect everything.

Question#2 is the new ACU came with a new rudder reference transducer, do I need to change the old one out or can I leave it as is.
A2-Leave as is, they are identical. Stow away the new RRU as a spare.

Question#3. The manual shows that the EV1 is connected to the same 5-way block as the control head. Is it possible to enter anyplace else for the EV1, I do not have any more room in the helm pod support to add another wire.
A3-That is an example. The EV1 can connect into any of the white STNG ports. It does not have to be the five way.

Chris,