Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Connecting Gill Windsonic
03-06-19, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-19 03:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Connecting Gill Windsonic
I'm attempting to connect a Gill Windsonic (ultrasonic wind transducer). I used a terminal app to configure it to NMEA 0183 output, and verified the unit is operating properly. Set to RS422, 4800 Baud.
However, after connecting to the input on my e7D, the MFD was unable to locate the unit. The sentences output to the terminal began with:
$IIMWV, followed by angle (if detected), Relative, velocity, unit, status and checksum.
I've attached a snip of the output as viewed in the terminal app.
Checking the NMEA 0183 sentences documented in the Lighthouse manual, there is no leading $II, the sentence header is simply MWV. The Windsonic can also be configured to begin the sentence with WIMWV. Am I correct in assuming that the MFD will pick up the sentence begining with MWV? Or do I need to reconfigure to the WIMWV initiator?
Or do I simply have a bad connection? I connected to the Port 1 input, set at 4800 Baud. The Port 1 output is connected to the VHS and AP, and both receive data from the e7D.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-19, 03:29 PM
RE: [CA11] Connecting Gill Windsonic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum brewgyver,

I believe that the problem is resulting from one of the following:

- the MFD's NMEA 0183 port to which the sensor's NMEA 0183 leads have been connected has not been configured with a matching BAUD rate ... verify that the MFD's corresponding NMEA 0183 port setting has been configured to "NMEA 4800"

- the sensor's NMEA 0183 leads have been incorrectly interfaced to the MFD. As no data will be transmitted by the MFD to the sensor, it would typically be recommended that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 sensor. Accordingly,

----- the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 IN+ lead (orange/white) will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 sensor's NMEA 0183 OUT+/A lead, and

----- the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 IN- lead (orange/green) will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 sensor's NMEA 0183 OUT-/B lead, and

----- the NMEA 0183 sensor's power and ground leads have been interfaced to power/ground per the sensor manufacturer's instructions

- the MFD's NMEA 0183 port has suffered a failure ... please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may perform a wrap around test of the MFD's NMEA 0183 ports. Note that the FAQ referenced within this item may also be used to determine what the MFD is receiving via its NMEA 0183 Port 1 or Port 2. When properly interfaced, the NMEA 0183 sentences which you have listed should appear within the NMEA 0183 buffer being monitored. Are you seeing these sentences within the MFD's NMEA 0183 buffer?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply