Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST 70 Pilot Error
05-07-16, 12:04 PM
ST 70 Pilot Error
I am getting an auto pilot alarm on my MFD over and over again. It tells me there is "no pilot" but there is. I keep silencing the alarm and the pilot keeps working.

In addition, the depth box on my MFD is not working. I did a "discovery on the MFD for the depth and I get a message that the ST 70 pilot is preventing a discovery of the ST 60 depth gauge.

I tried replacing the E22158 converter thinking that might be the problem but it made no difference.

I have two MFDs (E95 & ES75). I reconnected everything to my new ES75 and the errors are the same so it is not the MFD.

On what I think is unrelated but maybe not: My E95 screen goes white. It comes back but goes all white off and on. My ES75 does not do this. Maybe I have a separate issue with the E95?

On another I think separate issue but maybe not: My I60 wind instrument does not always show "true wind." The screen gives me the dashes. I have change the wind transducer and cable.

Any ideas? I am currently out cruising.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-16, 08:46 AM
RE: ST 70 Pilot Error
In order to help efficiently I would need a wiring diagram (handwritten would work) of the system and how all the equipment is connected. The NO PILOT alarm is when the MFD looses connection with the autopilot and it isn't seeing heading. The e95 could be the cause, have you diagnosed a reason why that unit is shutting down?

You would need speed through the water from a speed transducer for True Wind, do you have a speed transducer in the system?
05-09-16, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-16 10:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Here is an update: Traveled yesterday and disconnected the sea talk backbone from the MFD. Result: MFD had no problems; screen never went white. Wind instrument worked perfectly; had true and apparent wind. BUT, the autopilot continued to alarm as it did before but it still worked. But, it only worked via the handheld smart controller.
It seems the problem is in the autopilot.
Please keep in mind my system has worked fine in the past so it is not a wiring problem.
Any new thoughts?
05-09-16, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-16 12:28 PM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
No new thoughts, it could be a wiring problem if a connection has loosened, but I also need an idea of how the system is wired in order to see where equipment is connected together, that is the reason for the request.
05-09-16, 02:13 PM
(05-09-16 12:27 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  No new thoughts, it could be a wiring problem if a connection has loosened, but I also need an idea of how the system is wired in order to see where equipment is connected together, that is the reason for the request.

Trying to trace down the wiring is difficult and I do not have correct terms. I have an old seatalk backbone for the ST 60 instruments and a new one for the newer instruments. I have a seatalk junction bar to tie instruments together and a seatalk converter for the different backbones to communicate. Here is my best shot.

1. Seatalk (blue cable) from SPX 30 computer to Junction Bar.
2, Seatalk (other blue cable) from Junction Bar to Converter.
3. Seatalk (white)from Junction Bar to Autopilot Head
4. Seatalk (white) from Junction Bar to MFD

5. Seatalk (white but connected to the center Yellow on the Converter) to the ST60 Depth.
6. Red power from Converter to Instrument power source.
7. Seatalk (white) from Converter to I60 wind.
8. ST60 Depth connected to ST60 Speed via old seatalk cable.

Power to MFD from separate breaker.
Radar to MFD from direct cable connection.

Since just the Pilot is reading an error isn't the problem either in the Pilot Head or Course Computer?
05-10-16, 03:27 PM
I don't see the Smart Controller in your description, is that connected to the SPX Seatalk port or to the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter?
05-10-16, 04:34 PM
(05-10-16 03:27 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  I don't see the Smart Controller in your description, is that connected to the SPX Seatalk port or to the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter?

SPX
05-12-16, 08:24 AM
OK, then to test if the issue is the ST70 or SPX course computer, connect the MFD and disconnect the ST70 on the Seatalk NG backbone. Do you still get the NO PILOT alarm? If you do the issue is the SPX course computer and loosing Seatalk NG interface. If not, it confirms the ST70 control head. I would then recommend that the unit determined be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician.

Raymarine Service Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:
Name
Daytime Phone
Return address
Brief description of the issue
05-13-16, 08:35 AM
(05-12-16 08:24 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  OK, then to test if the issue is the ST70 or SPX course computer, connect the MFD and disconnect the ST70 on the Seatalk NG backbone. Do you still get the NO PILOT alarm? If you do the issue is the SPX course computer and loosing Seatalk NG interface. If not, it confirms the ST70 control head. I would then recommend that the unit determined be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician.

Raymarine Service Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:
Name
Daytime Phone
Return address
Brief description of the issue

Looks like it is the control head. Will send in for service.
05-13-16, 11:40 AM
Great, that sounds like the issue.