Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Verifying NMEA cable function - AIS not communicating
03-17-19, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-19 01:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Verifying NMEA cable function - AIS not communicating
I replaced my C80 with an E80 at the helm (yes I needed a new NavPod). I also put an E80 at my Nav Station below deck. The E80 at the helm has the Radar, NMEA 0183, SeaTalk, and HS Ethernet SeaTalk connected. The E80 at the Nav has the NMEA 0183 connected to my GX2200 AIS radio as well as SeaTalk and HS Ethernet.
Before I plugged in the ethernet between E80's, I checked that the AIS was communicating with the E80 at the Nav station perfectly. I then piggybacked the NMEA
Connection (block connector) with the Helm and Nav on one side and AIS radio on the other and the Nav sees the AIS but the Helm doesn't. I tested the output + and - wires from the helm and I see pulsing voltage from .6 to 2V. But when I check the buffer it shows an output signal and no receiving data.
I then connected the ethernet cable and they both have AIS signal. However now I have to identify one MFD as the master and if I want AIS at the helm I have to have both E80's on. The NMEA 0183 wire from the helm is in a horrible location under the cockpit and will be extremely difficult to replace. Since it appears to be putting out signal I would believe that it is properly connected to the E80. So my two questions are: 1) Is there any way to test the NMEA 0183 receiving component of the cable or setting on the E80 other than the 38400 Baud (which it is set to) before I try to replace the cable?? and 2) With the Ethernet connection and master and slave setting of the two E80's do I run the risk of loosing access to the SeaTalk data of my other ST60 instruments that are connected to the Helm E80 (set to Master) if I shut down the Nav station E80??
Thank you for suffering through this long thread
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-19, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-19 02:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Verifying NMEA cable function - AIS not communicating
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

It is strongly advised that a 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 signal not be paralleled. The 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 connection with the VHF radio / AIS transceiver should only be connected to the NMEA 0183 cable of one of the MFDs.

Please note that Raymarine's Product Repair Centers can no longer service E-Series Classic MFDs. Should you have performed a wraparound test of one of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port and found that its NMEA 0183 port is not operational, then you may want to consider swapping the MFDs within the system to permit the one which is most critical (i.e. the MFD located at the helm) to have an operational NMEA 0183 port. This MFD would in turn be interfaced to the VHF radio / AIS transceiver, configured for 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications, and will in turn share AIS data (as well as all other data and resources) with the navigation station's MFD via the Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) communications path which you have created.

As both MFDs have been interfaced to the SeaTalk bus, either MFD may be configured as the system's Data Master MFD, permitting it to access data from the SeaTalk bus. The latter situation may be useful when performing tasks at the navigation station and seeking to save power by not switching the helm MFD ON. Unfortunately, should the recommendation to swap MFDs as suggested herein be acted upon, then no AIS data will be available to the navigation station's MFD when the helm MFD has been switched OFF.
03-19-19, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-19 07:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck
Thank you for your response. I will perform the wrap around test, this week - I know that the MFD at the helm is transmitting but I am not sure it is receiving - I believe the PO may have had issues with the wiring set up. I did not realize that you could connect the NMEA input to output of a single connector to verify the performance - great idea.
If the wiring is bad my choice will be to try and crawl under the cockpit or use the HS ethernet cable between the two E80's - if I understand it correctly though - if the AIS is connected to the nav station and I want AIS on the helm, then I must always have the E80 at the Nav station turned on- Is that correct??
Thank you again for your help
03-20-19, 07:45 AM
Andy,

Q. if the AIS is connected to the nav station and I want AIS on the helm, then I must always have the E80 at the Nav station turned on- Is that correct??
A. Correct.
03-20-19, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-19 12:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck
Quick update - I ran the wrap around test and there was not receive signal. So I pulled the wire at the helm and low and behold it appears when the PO installed the wire and then screwed the NavPod to the Helm post - the screw cut through the White and Green wires so that the return path was cut. GO FIGURE. I am in the process of running a new NMEA 0183 wire and that should take care of it.
Again - I greatly appreciate your expertise and support'
Andy
03-21-19, 12:34 PM
You're welcome.
03-22-19, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-19 10:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,
I replaced the NMEA 0183 cable, and then wired up the two E80's. I now get AIS signals on both, however I get a different icon in the top right corner of both displays (picture attached). Since I am seeing AIS targets on both displays, the red X on the icon gave me concern. Reading the E80 manual there is no correlative icon to what I am seeing, however I believe it is indicating that yes the E80 is receiving signal from the AIS but that "Dangerous Target Alarm" is turned off. It could mean something else and that is why I am requesting your input before I claim complete success with this forum issue.
Thank you again for your help
Andy
03-25-19, 10:12 AM
Andy,

As you have suggested, the AIS Dangerous Target Alarm appears to have been configured OFF. Please additionally note, that the NMEA 0183 port of any MFD (not just the Data Master MFD) is active within the system. The AIS receiver should only be interfaced to one of these MFDs. Alternatively, should the AIS receiver be interfaced to both MFDs, then the NMEA 0183 port of only one of the MFDs should be configured to "AIS 38400" whenever both MFDs are switched ON.