Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Tacktick Mast rotation sensor showing constant angle
03-18-19, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-19 12:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Tacktick Mast rotation sensor showing constant angle
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my Tacktick mast rotation sensor I cannot figure out.

My setup is:

T121 Hull transmitter
T909 Compass transducer
T120 Wireless wind transmitter
T221 Wireless Mast Rotation transmitter
T111 Multifunction wireless dual display (added later)
T112 Multifunctional wireless analogue display

Currently no Transducer, will be added later. Setup is from the boat was new in 2016, I added the T111 this winter as I assumed lack of calibration was the issue.
There's a B&G Zeus chart plotter currently not linked to the Tacktick system, Micro-talk is on the list when transducer and this issue is sorted.

The problem is that the T221 is showing a constant angle no matter the angle of mast. When I go to setup-> health it shows 5 or 6 in signal strength, and 8 deg. No manipulation of the mast will make it change, it being fast or slow.
Thus changing the AWD as the mast rotates.

I've calibrated the compass deviation several times, but the mast rotation sensor still says 8 deg. Are there any other calibration I should perform?

Boat is a Dragonfly 25 sport trimaran, carbon rotating mast. T221 is mounted aprox 4m above deck in front of the mast, should this matter in any way as long as it has a signal? I know the manual says max 1,5m, but all boats are delivered like this from factory, and there's really no other place on the mast to put it without being hit by sheets somehow.

The dealer has added a very thin aluminium bar around it (mounted aprox 5 cm around it) to stop the jib from striking it at every tack. Even though it might have had a slight impact i cannot see that it should completely lock it of.
As it's attached by pop nails in a carbon mast I would like not to have to remove it just to check if there's another way.

Any ideas? Boat is danish, sold in sweden and imported to Norway by me, so taking it to the dealer is quite a mess.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-19, 10:54 AM
RE: [DG11] Tacktick Mast rotation sensor showing constant angle
Hi bjojor
Thank you for your enquiry,

This sounds like the Mast Rotation Transducer (MRT) has not been calibrated. Out of the box it will not work unless calibrated. The calibration process for the MRT is the same as for the compass transducer.
To make sure it is not the windvane or compass transducer. – Remove the MRT from the boat. Power cycle and then check the wind vane and compass data is live.

Regards
Derek
03-23-19, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-19 06:41 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, given that the boat was only delivered with the T112 display I assume it cannot have been calibrated.

But I do not understand how to calibrate the MRS, as the documentation I have found for the MRS only refers to the manual for the T111 for calibration process, and the only calibration described there is the one for the compass. I have flicked through all the

Could you please spell out in detail the exact process for calibrating the MRS?

Getting the MRS of the mast is not super easy as it is popped on, so I want to be sure I don´t remove it before I know the exact process for calibration.

For some reason I have now lost contact with the MRS, but I suspect it´s due to other tackticksystems close by as it has only happened in the dock where the boat currently is, and I also loose contact with the windwane when coming back into to the dock. Could be some other high power antenna interfering as well since it´s only happening there.
03-25-19, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-19 06:44 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi bjojor

Thank you for your message.

The instructions for the Mast rotation transducer calibration are attached [Image: attachment.php?aid=2803]

This should clarify what you need to do to calibrate the MRT
Thanks
Derek

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-27-19, 07:56 AM
Hi,

I ended up getting a replacement MRS. That seemed to solve some problems, but I've ended up with a new one:

The wind angle "jumps" almost 90 deg several times a minute, even on very stabil heading and wind. Please see this video of the problem https://share.icloud.com/photos/09SCOT1v...UBSpPJ0BTQ

I cannot think of anything else than a faulty T120? Wind speed in constant/stabil, and the windvane felt a bit "cheap"/flimsy when I checked it to see if there were any problems.
It doesn't feel "broken", just way more play than I would expect, at least from side to side perpendicular to the wind direction. So that leads me to believe it's actually broken.

Any ideas?
09-04-19, 07:27 AM
HI bjojor

Thankyou for your feedback, in the first instance we suggest temporarily removing the MRT from the network, simply put it inside a metal tin - does the problem repeat itself? if yes, then suspect the masthead transducer is faulty.
Regards
Derek