Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] E7 and furuno 588
03-18-19, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-19 10:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] E7 and furuno 588
Hi there. I have an e7 that I am using as a MFD for my boat. I have a Furuno fcv588 sonar and have a Navman 8120 that I use as my primary plotter / GPS. I have installed a N2K network that also has a 0183 to 2000 converter. All is working as it should. I can see all engine / fuel data, depth, water temp and speed on the e7 (nice!). The Furuno has a neat ‘mark’ feature that allows you to capture waypoints on interesting structure or shows. This also is successfully working as I have managed to feed the Furuno with GPS data from the e7 via the network. Now here comes the challenge! The Furuno is also able to export the waypoint data to the network and plot that waypoint on a plotter. The problem is that the format for the waypoint that Furuno uses is TLL and it seems that only Furuno plotters are able to accept this. Unfortunately my Navman is not able to accept any wpt input and so my question is whether there is anyway that the e7 would be able to accept this TLL input?
Hope I haven’t confused you all! :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-19, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-19 06:21 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] E7 and furuno 588
Hello Mim,

There's a reference for what NMEA0183 messages the e7 can send/receive in Appendix B (p411) of the Lighthouse v19 Operating instructions which can download from our online handbook resource at http://www.raymarine.com/manuals-documents/.

The TLL message is designed for carrying information about (to quote the NMEA0183 spec) "Target number, name, position and time tag for use in systems tracking targets" (by implication and standard usage, Radar ARPA targets) rather than waypoints or other marked geographic locations. The e7 supports TTM (the equivalent of TLL using range and bearing relative to your own vessel rather than geographic lat/lon) but not TLL.

Raymarine systems don't make a distinction between 'marks' and 'waypoints', and waypoints can be transferred into Raymarine Lighthouse 2 or 3 displays in the following ways:
  • over Raynet (ethernet) from another Raymarine display
  • from a MicroSD card, in standard GPX file-format
  • Synched over Wifi from the Navionics Boating app
You can also share the currently-active waypoint (Goto) over NMEA2000 or NMEA0183 (on displays that support this obsolete interface), but this is not stored in the Raymarine display: it's live/active navigation data only.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
03-20-19, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-19 01:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] E7 and furuno 588
Hi Tom and thanks for the update. I didn’t t think it would be possible but thought I would ask. I may just have to manually enter them for the times I need to refer to them. :-(