Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tide Arrow
05-08-16, 01:29 PM
Tide Arrow
I have a e127 MFD and I purchased the Navionics+ charts which has tide information. When i enable the "Tide Arrow" in the Chart Vectors, when underway, the tide arrow is always pointing in the direction of travel regardless of the tide direction. I actually noticed today that I was traveling AGAINST the current but the Tide Arrow was pointing in my direction of travel. please help as I would like to get this to work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-16, 09:07 AM
RE: Tide Arrow
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jeokeefe,

The feature which you have selected is no way associated with tide/current data stored on the Navionics chart card. Like the other Chart application Vectors (MENU->CHART APPLICATION->PRESENTATION->VECTORS), the Tide vector is calculated from sensor data, in this case latitude, longitude, COG, SOG, Speed Through Water, and Heading. As the tide vector, better termed leeway vector is the vector difference of the through water and over ground vector, accurate presentation of this vector is dependent upon the system having each of the above listed sensor inputs and that each be properly functioning and calibrated.

If seeking information concerning the direction of the direction and magnitude of the tidal at any time based upon tide and current data retrieved from a Navionics chart card, then simply position the cursor over the current station icon, hold your finger on the station icon or press OK to bring up the chart object menu and then select Animate from the displayed menu.
05-09-16, 02:57 PM
So that means you must have some device that is reporting "Speed through the water?"
05-09-16, 03:42 PM
jeokeefe,

Correct. Should the system not have a speed through water input to the system (denoted by the Speed (not to be confused with COG) data item being reported as -.-), then the system will not have all of the variables required to determine the through water vector.