Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Looking to upgrade from E120 classic
03-27-19, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-19 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Looking to upgrade from E120 classic
Hello,
Looking to upgrade from my E120 system to the Axiom.
I am looking to keep, if possible, the radar RD418HD and the Auto pilot Xsol E12205 and P70R controller.
I have the DSM300 and SR100.
Question 1: Can I still use my current radar and auto pilot with the axiom?
If so is it just plug and play or are there cables that would be needed to adapt them to the axiom?

Question 2: I am not able to find reference to the exact thru hull Xducer I have but it was purchased as a kit with the DSM300 and it looks like it is either a B260 or B258. I would imagine I need to replace the xducer since the new axiom and CP570 are chirp? Or is it possible to use the existing xducer with some sort of adapter cable for the time being since the xducers and sounder will be over budget for my upgrade?

Question 3: Can I use an additional external display or monitor to have a visual of what is displayed on the axiom? Currently I can have it (E120) hooked up the TV to display what is on the multi function display so it can be seen by the crew and passengers.

Question 4: I see in the forums that people mention a Axiom 12RVX but I cannot find that designation on your product page. What does the "X" designate?

Question 5: Is it possible to transfer my waypoints from the e120 classic to the axiom?
Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-19, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-20 08:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Looking to upgrade from E120 classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1: Can I still use my current radar and auto pilot with the axiom?
A1: Yes. The currently installed RD424HD radome may be retained for use with the Axiom MFD (assume that an Axiom 12 MFD will be purchased). The Axiom MFD, X-Series autopilot course computer, and p70R autopilot control head would each need to be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As the NMEA 2000 socket of Axiom MFDs feature a DeviceNet (M) connector, please click here to view options for adapting the MFD's NMEA 2000 socket to permit the MFD to be mated to a spur socket within the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. This is also addressed by the FAQ referenced at the beginning of this response.

Q2: I am not able to find reference to the exact thru hull Xducer I have but it was purchased as a kit with the DSM300 and it looks like it is either a B260 or B258. I would imagine I need to replace the xducer since the new axiom and CP570 are chirp? Or is it possible to use the existing xducer with some sort of adapter cable for the time being since the xducers and sounder will be over budget for my upgrade?
A2: As the currently installed transducer is a 1kW 50kHz/200kHz, the DSM300 would be replaced with a CP370 fishfinder sounder module. Doing so would support the same type of fishfinder performance and imaging as was supported to the DSM300. As indicated within the FAQ referenced at the beginning of this response, the currently installed SeaTalkhs Cables may be adapted to be mated to the CP370 (as well as to the MFD). Should this be sufficient, then an Axiom MFD lacking internal RealVision processing circuitry may be purchased as a cost savings over an Axiom RV MFD.

Q3: Can I use an additional external display or monitor to have a visual of what is displayed on the axiom? Currently I can have it (E120) hooked up the TV to display what is on the multi function display so it can be seen by the crew and passengers.
A3: Please see the video output section of the FAQ addressing replacement of an E-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom MFD. As indicated therein, Axiom MFDs support Miracast wireless transmission of their screen image to TV/monitors which are equipped with Miracast technology or can support use of a Miracast dongle. More information on this subject may be found within Chapter 5.13: Connecting a wireless display of the LightHouse 3.11 Advanced Operation Instructions. There are also several threads (not FAQs) within this forum discussing the Miracast feature supported by Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs.

Q4: I see in the forums that people mention a Axiom 12RVX but I cannot find that designation on your product page. What does the "X" designate?
A4: Raymarine offers three products which will add RealVision sonar imaging features (when accessorized with a RealVision transducer(s)). These are the Axiom RV MFDs (7", 9", and 12"), Axiom Pro RVX MFDs (9", 12", and 16"), and the RVX100 High Performance 3D Sonar Module. The choice of RVX vs RV is mostly for marketing purposes, but in this case the products listed above having RVX in their product names also indicates that the product features both RealVision sonar circuity and 1kW CHIRP (or 1kW 50kHz/200kHz with adapter cable) internal fishfinder circuitry. I tend to favor installation of a sonar module over a MFD having internal sonar circuitry as it creates a more modular system, reduces the cost of the MFD(s) to be purchased, and often simplifies installation. If seeking RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, and 200W/high frequency CHIRP sonar imaging in addition to the 1kW 50kHz/200kHz sonar imaging presently supported by your current system, then an Axiom 12 MFD or Axiom Pro S 12 MFD along with a RVX1000 (replaces the aforementioned CP370) and a RealVision Transducer(s) would be recommended.

Q5: Is it possible to transfer my waypoints from the e120 classic to the axiom?
A5: Yes. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
03-28-19, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-19 07:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for your response.
Tom
03-28-19, 07:54 AM
You're welcome.
04-05-20, 10:15 PM
Hi Chuck,
referencing back to this topic I posted a year ago as I am researching the miracast dongle to install a monitor for viewing the sounder function of my system.
The link that you have posted is no longer valid.

Also looking at your response for question 3, I am assuming that this miracast device with an external monitor will only display what is on the axiom display. Or will it display any window I choose independently of the axiom display. For example on the axiom I want to see the chart plotter function (it is installed at the helm) but at the same time on the external monitor (installed in the cockpit) I want to have the sounder displayed.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
04-06-20, 08:28 AM
Tom,

Q1. Referencing back to this topic I posted a year ago as I am researching the miracast dongle to install a monitor for viewing the sounder function of my system.
The link that you have posted is no longer valid.
A1. The FAQ which you have referenced has been removed. Please review the updated response.

Q2a. Also looking at your response for question 3, I am assuming that this miracast device with an external monitor will only display what is on the axiom display.
A2a. Correct.

Q2b. Or will it display any window I choose independently of the axiom display. For example on the axiom I want to see the chart plotter function (it is installed at the helm) but at the same time on the external monitor (installed in the cockpit) I want to have the sounder displayed.
A2b. Negative.
04-06-20, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 07:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Will it ever be a reality that we could have a display in the cockpit that displays what we need in the back but still has the needed display at the helm?
04-07-20, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 07:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
tl454c,

Q. Will it ever be a reality that we could have a display in the cockpit that displays what we need in the back but still has the needed display at the helm?
A. Not likely. The feature which you have inquired about would require a significant amount of additional processing with the MFD which was casting video, as well as additional hardware within the MFD. Historically, the ability to have more than one display onboard the boat, where each display would potentially be capable of independently displaying data / resources which differed from the systems displays has been addressed by having a networked MFD in each location onboard the vessel where displaying data / resources has been desired. Whereas each Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom MFD features Miracast capabilities and should one desire to display data / resources on a larger display / television, then one need only install a relatively inexpensive Axiom MFD with no internal sonar (ex. E70363 Axiom 7 MFD) such a remote location and then cast its screen image to the larger display / television.