Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Interface T70345 Wireless Wind Kit with EV-100?
03-27-19, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-19 09:01 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Interface T70345 Wireless Wind Kit with EV-100?
we're considering replacing the wind transducer on our 1989 Catalina 30 with the wireless T120. Can it interface directly with our existing p70 control head (via the Micro-Talkâ„¢ Wireless Gateway), or is the i60/i70 control head required?

If we go without the i60/i70 will we be missing any critical functionality?

thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-19, 09:48 AM
RE: [DG11] Interface T70345 Wireless Wind Kit with EV-100?
Hi raymarine@vancrey.org

Thank you for your enquiry.

To use the Wireless wind with the STng equipment you will need the Micro-talk puck and either a wireless remote or a MN100-2 display in order to calibrate the apparent wind angle and to ensure the Micro-talk puck maintains communication with the Wireless wind transmitter.

You would not require the i60 /i70.

Regards
Derek
04-22-19, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-19 10:24 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
derek,

hopefully this is nothing, but there's bit of condensation in one of the solar modules in our new wind transducer (see attached picture.) we have not installed it yet. do you think it's anything to worry about?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-23-19, 10:27 AM
Hi raymarine@vancrey.org

Thanks for the picture, this moisture should burn off quickly in the sunlight and should not return, so we would not be concerned about this at this time. Suggest that you leave it in the sun for a day or two - this will help charge it too and you should see the moisture clear away.
Regards
Derek
04-23-19, 11:04 AM
the unit has been in the sun for over a week and the moisture has remained constant. i'm concerned the solar module is hermetically sealed so the moisture can't escape, and may eventually damage the internal components.

i can except this is normal, just want to be sure before sending it up the mast.
04-23-19, 11:17 AM
Hi raymarine@vancrey.org

Thanks for the response, we would recommend that the unit is swapped out, if it has not burned off in a week, then exchange it.
Thanks
Derek
06-14-19, 09:40 AM
Derek,

thanks for all the great help so far. after a few weeks the condensation burned off so i decided to install the unit. it's working well, but i have 2 questions about the microtalk gateway:

1. it appears the gateway does not receive a signal directly from the wind transducer. it only receives a signal from the T113 wireless remote, which relays data from the wind transducer. is this correct or can it be configured to receive data directly from the wind transducer?

2. the manual says to install it flat and pointed towards the bow or stern, preferably above decks. i assumed this was so the wind transducer had line-of-sight with the gateway, but per the aforementioned question i think this assumption is wrong. currently our gateway is hidden below deck almost sideways, but seems to be working fine. am i missing something? also, is there another wireless instrument that requires the proper orientation?

thanks again!

willy
06-17-19, 08:54 AM
Hi Willy,
Thank you for your enquiry.

The Microtalk puck needs to have wireless communication from some other deveice in the wireless network, for example the remote or a fixed display such as the MN100 type displays. The reason for this is that the system needs to be able to be powered down when not in use to conserve battery power, we determined that the system would be identified as 'in-use' if a display was powered up.

The orientation was derived from the other features that the microtalk puck has, but not yet enabled, in order to correctly process pict and roll, the orientation is important, since this is not yet enabled, orientation is currently not critical. Mounting above deck would be of benefit in some installations where the construction of the boat impedes the operation of the wireless function.

regards

Derek
06-17-19, 04:27 PM
rereading your response i realize my previous post may not make sense. i now understand a "display" device wakes up the wireless network. i'm still curious if the puck receives wind data directly from the wind transducer or only the T113 remote?

this is important to understand if i ever have problems with the puck receiving data and need to relocate it.
06-18-19, 09:15 AM
Hi Willy,

The Microtalk puck does communicate directly with the masthead transmitter, however, the communications alone between the two are not sufficient to keep the microtalk puck online. The addition of another display or a remote to the system will cause the microtalk puck to remain online and so keep the network online.
Thanks
Derek