Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Dragonfly 7 Pro Sonar Issue
03-30-19, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-19 02:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Dragonfly 7 Pro Sonar Issue
I own a Dragonfly 7 Pro fish sonar. My issue is that when I go over a certain water depth (usually around 30 feet), the sonar display has all sorts of "noise" on the screen. See attached images. I have tried nearly every setting combination with little to no results. The odd thing is that I could be at 25 feet and the display is crystal clear, but as soon as I pass around 30 feet, the display becomes cluttered once more. I am desperately hoping this problem can be fixed as I spent a good amount of money on this equipment. Unfortunately, at this time the lakes in my area are still frozen from winter, so I cannot test any suggested settings until later. Thank you for your time and help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-19, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-19 02:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Dragonfly 7 Pro Sonar Issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Trevon,

To eliminate the possibility that the reported issue is resulting from electrical interference from the boat's propulsion system, inverters, or other electronics / electrical systems, it is recommended that the vessel be brought into depths where the reported issue may be observed. Once duplicated, it would then be recommended that the boats engines and all other electrical circuits be switched OFF. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that a Sonar Reset (TOOLS & SETTINGS->SONAR SET-UP->SONAR RESET) be commanded. Should the problem persist thereafter, then there would appear to a be fault within the Dragonfly display and/or its transducer. In such cases it would be recommended that the Dragonfly display and its transducer be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
04-01-19, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-19 02:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for responding and taking your time to help me with this issue. I have the unit on a kayak so there should be no interference from any other electrical device I'd assume. I will try the sonar reset and hopefully that works. As stated before, the lakes are currently still frozen so I will have to wait until most likely next month before I can test it.
04-01-19, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-19 02:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Noted and you're welcome. Would I be safe in assuming that the transducer has been installed outside of the hull.
04-01-19, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-19 08:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Yes, it is outside of the hull. Another possible reason that may need to be considered is the battery. The battery that is connected is very cheap and possibly not supplying enough power to the transducer although it is 12 volts, so when going into deeper water, the transducer requires more power to send a signal and has insufficient battery power to do so. I am looking into this as a possible issue.
04-02-19, 08:44 AM
Trevon,

Noted and it would indeed be recommended that the Dragonfly be tested with another battery should one be available.