Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Water level slider now available?
04-01-19, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-19 03:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Water level slider now available?
Does anyone know if the Raymarine e-series now has the ability to set the water level of a lake?

This was not a feature on my e-series when purchased four years ago, but hoping it may have been added. I boat mainly on Lake Powell and the navigation equipment is almost worthless now that the water level is so low.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-19, 10:16 AM
RE: [CA11] Water level slider now available?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Scott,

Unfortunately, this feature was not supported within the software offered for the a/c/e-Series MFDs (i.e. LightHouse II ... the last version of which was v19.03) and has not yet been incorporated within the latest available software for Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL and eS/gS-Series MFDs (i.e. LightHouse 3 v3.8.105). A feature request has been logged accordingly to consider this feature for inclusion within a future LightHouse 3 software update.

As a workaround you may want to consider using the Chart application's Deep Water From (MENU->PRESENTATION->DEPTH & CONTOURS->DEEP WATER FROM) setting to create a blue (lowered lake level) / white (water) boundary to denote the shoreline of the lowered lake. To do so, one would set the Deep Water From setting to the number of feet that the lake has dropped from its reference depth. Adding a value which is slightly greater than the vessel's minimum safe operating depth to the he number of feet that the lake has dropped from its reference depth will then permit the waters represented in white within the Chart application to indicate where the vessel may safely navigate.

Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions.
04-04-19, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-19 01:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, the workaround will be very helpful. Is there a way to determine the lake's reference depth? I can estimate this based on the map's contours and my depth finder readings, but would prefer a solid figure.
04-04-19, 02:33 PM
Scott,

The reference level (usually specified in feet above mean sea level (MSL)) for larger lakes is often included within the Navionics cartography data. Pressing the OK button while the cursor is over an open water area of the lake or holding your finger pressed to the screen over an open water area of the lake will cause the Chart pop-up menu to be displayed. The command sequence MORE OPTIONS->CHART INFO->DEPTH AREA may then display the reference level. Online reference sources are commonly available, particularly for larger lakes. Such reference sources will often list the current lake level as well as include lake level graphs showing the lake level relative to the reference level (sometimes referred to as full reservoir / pool).

Unfortunately, the reference level was not listed for Lake Powell when I executed the command specified above. In such cases, it would be recommended that the cartography manufacturer, in this case Navionics (508-291-6000), be contacted to determine the reference level for Lake Powell within their cartography.