Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depth Finder loses bottom when > 150'
05-09-16, 03:36 PM
Depth Finder loses bottom when > 150'
HI, I've got an e120 Classic (2), with DSM300. I think the transducer is the SS270, but may be the B258 or B260 (how do I tell?, The default in my setup is SS270). I've got all components updated to the latest software and boot versions.

The depth finder works great and is very good at finding bait and identifying fish and works for water temp. too. The problem is that once I get out past 150' or so deep, it stops finding the bottom. It intermittently gets readings up to about 200' and it will freeze at those for a few seconds, but ultimately just shows --.- for depth. I can manually adjust it and still identify targets in the water column down to about 150' but I don't get anything below that. After being out in deeper water and heading back in, it starts reading again in the low 200's intermittently and at 150' or so it begins working like it should again.

I've searched and searched and not found anyone with the same problem. I've tried software updates and playing with settings, but the behavior is consistent. It's expensive to test because I have to head 35 miles offshore to get to water deep enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul Casterlin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-16, 10:11 AM
RE: Depth Finder loses bottom when > 150'
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum pcasterlin,

Q1. I think the transducer is the SS270, but may be the B258 or B260 (how do I tell?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. The depth finder works great and is very good at finding bait and identifying fish and works for water temp. too. The problem is that once I get out past 150' or so deep, it stops finding the bottom. It intermittently gets readings up to about 200' and it will freeze at those for a few seconds, but ultimately just shows --.- for depth. I can manually adjust it and still identify targets in the water column down to about 150' but I don't get anything below that. After being out in deeper water and heading back in, it starts reading again in the low 200's intermittently and at 150' or so it begins working like it should again.
A2. It is possible that the Fishfinder application has been configured for the 200kHz-Only frequency. It is recommended that the system be tested in deep water with the frequency setting configured to auto and then 50kHz-Only. Should neither of these support bottom acquisition, then it is possible that the 50kHz circuitry of the DSM300 or transducer has failed. This problem would typically be troubleshooted in the field by temporarily connecting another compatible transducer (suspended over the side of the boat or place atop a ZipLock bag placed inside the hull (only for solid fiberglass hulls less than 1" thick) while the boat is drifting or at anchor. Alternatively, the DSM300 may be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench tested/serviced.
07-05-16, 07:45 PM
As recommended, I've sent the DSM 300 in for bench testing. The form asked for a tracking ID on the shipment so the box was already shipped before I submitted the repair request to FLIR / Raymarine.

So - I was unable to attach the response and notification # to the shipment as requested.

I see that the package was delivered last Thursday (June 30 2016). My notification number is 30260577. Can someone confirm that the DSM has been received and matched to my work order?

Thanks!
07-06-16, 07:38 AM
pcasterlin,

Unfortunately, our technical support team would not have access to the requested data. It is recommended that the Repair Center (603.324.7900) be contacted with this request.
07-21-16, 05:38 PM
So the good news is that I was sent a new CP370 to replace my DSM 300.

After connecting the new CP370, I powered everything up and went to set the transducer as directed by using MENU-> FISHFINDER SETINGS-> TRANSDUCER SETTINGS-> SELECT TRANSDUCER

My Transducer is a B177V but is not listed in the options for Transducers.

The only select-able options are:

B256/M256
B260/M260/SS260
R99/R199
B258
SS270/B264
R209/R299

The MFD is an E120 Classic with the latest software (V5.69); I assume the the CP370 is at the latest too, as it came new from the factory.

A couple of other data points:
- I get a temperature reading of -80.1 (a good bet that the temperature is actually 80.1)
- When I select FREQUENCY CALIBRATION the MFD Reboots.

Any suggestions?
07-22-16, 08:42 AM
pcasterlin,

Neither Raymarine nor Airmar (produces 50/200kHz fishfinder transducers for Raymarine) have produced a transducer having the name B177V. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to identify the model of fishfinder transducer which is installed onboard your boat. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing incorrect temperature reported from a fishfinder.
07-22-16, 09:27 AM
Chuck, I'm sorry, I don't know where B177v came from it is a B744V
07-22-16, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-16 11:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
pcasterlin,

Should you actually have a B744V installed onboard, then please note that it is a 600W transducer and the CP370 is responding with a list of 1kW transducers. Accordingly, it would be recommended that a DSM Reset (MENU->FISHFINDER SET-UP->DSM SETTINGS->DSM RESET). Should the DSM Reset operation not then permit the 600W transducer list be be presented when selecting a transducer, then it would be recommended that the CP370 be tested (to determine whether it produces the 600W transducer list) with another 600W fishfinder transducer to fault isolate the problem to the CP370 or to the transducer itself. When performing this test, there would be no need to have the transducer in the water.