Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS to A98 Connection
05-09-16, 07:02 PM
AIS to A98 Connection
Hello -

Can i directly connect my AIS650 to my A98 via the sea talk spur cable included? The manual only shows this connection via a sea talk connector and two spur cables, which would appear to be on same input/output just with extra connections. I currently have a CPT 120 transducer connected to the A98 and do not have any plans to expand the network at this time. Would prefer to direct connect AIS at this time and install network capability later.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-16, 11:06 AM
RE: AIS to A98 Connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum walruspb,

It is not possible to do as you have suggested. To interface devices featuring SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 interfaces, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone must be installed onboard having sufficient SeaTalkng spur sockets for each SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 device which will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng network backbone. A simple backbone may be constructed from the following components:

- A06064 SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector
- A06031 SeaTalkng Termination Plugs x 2
- A06049 SeaTalkng Power Cable
- a pair of SeaTalkng Spur Cables of appropriate length to interface the system's Data Master a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD and AIS650 to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.
05-10-16, 11:56 AM
thanks for the response - is there another way to direct connect from the AIS to the A98 that I am missing? the sea talk configuration seems a little excessive (and expensive) for connecting two seperatly powered, compatible devices.
05-10-16, 07:55 PM
walruspb,

As both the AIS650 and a98 MFD also feature NMEA 0183 communications interfaces, these products may be interfaced using NMEA 0183 communications protocol (see attachment) or SeaTalkng communications protocol. As systems have a tendency to grow over time and SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 will be the choice over NMEA 0183 for future product designs, it is generally recommended that installations be performed using SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications rather than NMEA 0183 whenever permissible.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  e7, AISx50, DSC VHF.pdf (Size: 74.73 KB / Downloads: 543)