Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Sharing SD card data between eS127 and Axiom
04-10-19, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-19 02:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Sharing SD card data between eS127 and Axiom
So I got my new Axiom RV installed and networked it to my eS127 everything working good but I have a few questions - I now have 3 SD card slots available (2 on the eS127 and 1 on the Axiom). FWIW I moved the NMEA 2000 connection from my eS127 over to the Axiom.

Q1 - Can you read data on the Axiom from the SD cards in eS127?

The Axiom is set to data master. All my way-points were stored on the eS127 and now I cannot find my waypoints. It appears the Axiom is picking up my Navionics SD card info from the eS127. I elected to keep the Navionics card in the eS unit for ease of access for updates and installed a blank SD card in the Axiom.

Q2 - I have the Axiom hooked up to my wireless network - can the eS127 now be updated over WiFi via the Axiom?

I selected on the Axiom MFD "check for updates" and the eS127 showed in the list for wireless updates.

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
Current Ray Equipment - Axiom 7 RV serving as DM and networked to a eS127 -
Quantum Radar via WiFi to eS127, RMK-9 networked to eS127, EV-1 Sensor Core, RV-100 and B60 transducers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-19, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-19 03:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Sharing SD card data between eS127 and Axiom
MSjack,

Q1a - Can you read data on the Axiom from the SD cards in eS127?
A1a - The systems eS-Series MFD(s) and Axiom MFD(s) must be interfaced via Ethernet communications. This is required to support communications of data requiring high bandwidth (ex. cartography, radar, fishfinder sonar, etc.). The system's Data Master MFD must be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. If seeking a level of redundancy, one or more of the repeater MFDs may also be interfaced as a spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Each of the system's MFDs must also be running the same version of LightHouse 3 software.

With respect to data stored on microSD memory cards within the readers of the system's MFDs, each of the system's networked MFDs will have access cartography from chart cards within the system's memory card readers. Only one Navionics and/or one C-Map card should be present within the system's memory card readers. Similarly, if using LightHouse Charts, only one instance of any one specific chart (ex. US NOAA Vector East, US NOAA Vector West, US NOAA Raster East, etc.) should be present within the system's memory card readers. However, with respect to other types of data stored on memory cards within the system's memory card readers, only the MFD having the card containing the desired file (ex. screen snapshot, GPX file, etc.) to be accessed may in turn access this file.

Q1b. The Axiom is set to data master. All my way-points were stored on the eS127 and now I cannot find my waypoints. It appears the Axiom is picking up my Navionics SD card info from the eS127. I elected to keep the Navionics card in the eS unit for ease of access for updates and installed a blank SD card in the Axiom.
A1b. All waypoints, routes, tracks, and page definitions are stored within the memory of the MFD which has been designated as the system's Data Master MFD. Should you have interfaced the MFDs as specified above, powered the system ON, and then reconfigured the system such that the Axiom MFD is now the Data Master MFD (which initially had no waypoint, route, and track data stored within its memory, then it is possible that this action may have erased the waypoint, route, and track data stored within the e127 MFD's memory. Hopefully, you backed up your waypoint, route, and track data to a microSD memory card. If so, then it may be imported back into the system from the GPX file which had been stored on the microSD memory card. Any MFD within the system may be used to perform this import operation.

Q2 - I have the Axiom hooked up to my wireless network - can the eS127 now be updated over WiFi via the Axiom? I selected on the Axiom MFD "check for updates" and the eS127 showed in the list for wireless updates.
A2. While it's been a while I would expect that this would only work if the eS-Series MFD was already running a version of LightHouse 3 software (i.e. not LightHouse II software). In short, if it provides prompt to update the eS-Series MFD's software via the Axiom MFD, then I would recommend proceeding with the update.
04-11-19, 03:34 PM
Thanks Chuck...

I do have all my way-points and tracks saved on an SD card currently in the eS127 and the eS127 and Axiom are properly networked.

I will attempt to upload from the SD card and hope that works.

FWIW both MFDs are running the latest LH3 software and I will attempt the WiFi update of the eS via the Axiom next time there is an update available and post back.

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
Quantum Radar via WiFi to eS127, RMK-9 networked to eS127, EV-1 Sensor Core, RV-100 and B60 transducers.
04-12-19, 08:13 AM
You're welcome.
04-12-19, 08:38 AM
Well it worked.

I had all my way-points/tracks/routes backed up on the SD card in the eS127 and was able to upload it back into the system. I then had to reconfigure all my custom settings and then saved my settings to the SD card in the eS127 and the Axiom for redundancy.

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
04-12-19, 11:04 AM
You're welcome.
04-15-19, 03:37 PM
Follow-up question please -

With my current MFD network do I need to worry about updates on the eS127 or just keep the Axiom (which is set as DM) updated?

I see there is a LH3 3.9 out for the Axiom units and was not sure if Axioms networked to eS units must have the same software release.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Jack - MS Gulf Coast
04-15-19, 03:56 PM
Jack,

It is recommended that all networked MFDs be maintained at the same software level. It is expected that the release of LightHouse 3.9 software update for eS/gS-Series MFDs is imminent. Accordingly, it would be recommended that you wait until the update for the eS/gS-Series MFDs is released before updating the software within an eS/gS-Series MFD.