Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Slave E120 chartplotter crash/reboot on 3D page
04-11-19, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-19 01:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Slave E120 chartplotter crash/reboot on 3D page
I have a pair of E120 chartplotters both with the latest software (5.69) on my boat. They are interconnected with SeatalkNG. Overall they are working fine. There is however one very annoying problem, if the slave unit (the one without the chart card) is set to the page with the 3D panel it locks up and crashes after a minute and then reboots and repeats indefinitely. Sometimes it displays a message that says there isn't any 3D data before it crashes. I can get it out of the problem by quickly hitting OK after a reboot, pressing the Page button and selecting the first chart page. This issue happens when the unit is in Local or System mode.

I do have 3D data - the same page works just fine on the master unit with the chart card.

I know that this is an older unit but let's face it - this is pretty clearly a software bug. Is there any solution to the problem?

---
Bob Atkins
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-19, 01:46 PM
RE: [CA11] Slave E120 chartplotter crash/reboot on 3D page
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

The 3D feature is among the most data and processing intensive features of the E-Series Classic MFDs. These MFDs were designed for use with Navionics Platinum chart cards. The reported symptom is typically indicative of attempting to use a Navionics Platinum Plus chart card. The significantly greater quantity of data stored on a Navionics Platinum chart card can exceed the capabilities of the system, particularly for networked MFDs. Please attach a photo of the chart card's label in which all information printed its label is clearly visible.
04-11-19, 02:42 PM
Sad RE: [CA11] Slave E120 chartplotter crash/reboot on 3D page
I have a Platinum+ chart card.

US West Coast and Hawaii
Platinum+ Large, Compact Flash

So, if I understand correctly the issue that I am having with the slave E120 choking up, crashing and re-booting is not correctable since there is too much data for the slave system to deal with over the SeaTalkNG (aka ethernet) connection.

---
Bob
04-11-19, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-19 03:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

Q. So, if I understand correctly the issue that I am having with the slave E120 choking up, crashing and re-booting is not correctable since there is too much data for the slave system to deal with over the SeaTalkhs (aka ethernet) connection.
A. Correct. Please click here to view a FAQ providing further information on this subject.
04-11-19, 03:36 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the confirmation. I also just realized that I was referring to SeatalkHS (aka ethernet) by the wrong designation (SeatalkNG).

I read the reference FAQ that you provided and I can confirm that my Platinum+ chart card works just fine in all respects (including full 3D) as well as pictures, aerial overlay, etc., on the Master E120 in which has the chart card installed. The same is true on my slave E120 except for what I feel is the recent failure of the 3D page.

While I can't say with absolute certainty that viewing of the 3D chart page on the slave E120 was ever a problem in the past (I have always had the same Platinum+ chart card in the master E120) but I feel very confident that I would have tested the 3D functionality after I got the Platinum+ chart card on both chart plotters especially given that the slave E120 is at the helm of my boat. I wonder if something new may be causing the problem? Could the slave E120 benefit from a 'reset'??

That said is there a way to remove the 3D page from the slave E120 or replace it with something else?

---
Bob
04-12-19, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-19 08:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

It is indeed possible to remove a 3D page or 3D pane from a page set. Detailed instructions for configuring page sets may be found within Chapter 18.2 Customizing the page sets of the E-Series MFD User Reference Guide.