Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Quantum Radar Wi-Fi Pair to 2 MFDs
03-28-18, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-18 11:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Quantum Radar Wi-Fi Pair to 2 MFDs
I have 2 MFD (Axiom 7 inside and Axiom Pro 9 on the cockpit).
I cannot pair the radar to both MFDs. Only to one at a time.

Why? I couldn't find anywhere on the website that say only one MFD at a time.

Please help,
JP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-18, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-18 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Quantum Radar Wi-Fi Pair to 2 MFDs
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JP,

Raymarine product documentation and web pages address how the marine electronics system intended to be interfaced, not necessarily how the system is not intended to be interfaced. Should there be questions (before or after the product purchase) which are not addressed within Raymarine's product web pages, included within the posted product installation and operation guides, or found within the FAQs posted within this Forum, then our product support team or your Raymarine dealer may be contacted to seek answers to these questions. As you have suggested the Quantum Radomes are not designed to simultaneously paired with more than one MFD. Instead, within systems featuring two or more compatible MFDs, the MFDs are intended to be interfaced to one another via Ethernet networking. When so interfaced, only one of the MFDs will need to be paired with the Quantum radome and the radar resource would then be shared with the other networked MFDs.
03-29-18, 04:59 PM
WOW... that was not clear on the website.

I can't understand why a WiFi device will only accept one connection.

It's also inconvenient, forcing the MFD paired to always be ON. On a sailboat energy consumption is key.

Can I connect both MFDs with a RayNet to RayNet Cable? Or do I need a Switch in the middle?

Thanks a lot,
JP
03-30-18, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-18 08:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
JP,

Q1. It's also inconvenient, forcing the MFD paired to always be ON. On a sailboat energy consumption is key.
A1. As indicated within my initial response, Quantum radomes are not designed to simultaneously paired with more than one MFD. However, should the MFD which is presently paired to the Quantum radome be switched OFF, power to the Quantum radome be cycled (ON->OFF->ON), then the other MFD may be paired with the Quantum radome. The Quantum radome would typically be paired to the cockpit display on sailing vessels lacking a below decks helm station, as the Quantum radar would not typically operated unless the vessel is underway with a lookout in the cockpit (Rule 5 of the USCG NAVIGATION RULES AND REGULATIONS).

Q2. Can I connect both MFDs with a RayNet to RayNet Cable?
A2. Yes

Q3. Or do I need a Switch in the middle?
A3. A HS5 RayNet Network Switch would only be required if a fourth compatible device having an Ethernet communications interface (ex. compatible MFD, thermal camera, IP camera, fishfinder sounder module, etc.) was going to be added to the system and/or should it not be desired to run a second Ethernet (RayNet) cable to the Axiom Pro 9.
04-12-19, 03:27 PM
Good day:
On this topic. I have a a98 display Lh2. I want to get a Q24c and connect WiFi wireless to a98. Can I use another display and WiFi from A98 to use RayControl app? Or can the system only handle one WiFi at a time? I want to use the A98 as a ‘base sttion’ At main helm and use a tablet on flybridge WiFi. What are the limitations? Thanks.
04-15-19, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-19 03:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cappy208,

Q. I have a a98 display Lh2. I want to get a Q24c and connect WiFi wireless to a98. Can I use another display and WiFi from A98 to use RayControl app? Or can the system only handle one WiFi at a time? I want to use the A98 as a ‘base sttion’ At main helm and use a tablet on flybridge WiFi.
A. It is most definitely possible a Wi-Fi equipped MFD running either the latest version of LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software to be paired via Wi-Fi to a Quantum/Quantum 2 radome and to simultaneously have a smartphone or tablet connect to the MFD via Wi-Fi to support use of Raymarine's Mobile apps. You may want investigate the daylight viewing performance of the tablet on the flybridge prior to deciding upon one in that location.