Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Pro 9 not providing SOG over NMEA 2000 bus
04-20-19, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-19 12:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Pro 9 not providing SOG over NMEA 2000 bus
Just replaced a Garmin 441 GPS with an Axiom Pro 9. The garmin was previously interfaced via a SeatalkNG-NMEA2000 cable, and my i70s displayed SOG. Now with the Axiom Pro, I am getting no SOG display on my i70s.

But the strange thing is that the Axiom Pro seems to be providing all other data to the SeatalkNG bus. It was able to upgrade firmware on all connected elements. The i70s will display the next waypoint name, distance to waypoint, etc, when the Axiom Pro is set up to "go to a waypoint".

When I select "Track Mode" on my P70s autpilot head, it gives me a warning of "No SOG available", or something like that.

In the "NMEA setup" screen on the Axiom Pro, all data items are checked as active... including "VTG (COG and Gnd Speed)". I ran the system setup to detect all data source. On the i70s, under the data sources menu, for speed, the only two sources available are "AUTO", and "ITC-5".

Running all the latest firmware on my P70s, i70s, ACU-100, EV-1, Axiom Pro 9, and ITC-5. Schematic of my setup attached.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Marks_Raymarine_Schematic.pdf (Size: 358.34 KB / Downloads: 210)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-19, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-19 12:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom Pro 9 not providing SOG over NMEA 2000 bus
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tmarks11,

Great diagram! Please note that a vessel which is not moving will have no valid COG or SOG. When these data items are displayed with the system, it would be expected that their values should be dashed under such conditions. The MFD's NMEA Setup screen is not intended to support configuration of data transmitted to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. All data within the list of supported NMEA 2000 PGNs will be transmitted if the data required to populate the corresponding PGN is available to the MFD. The MFD's NMEA Setup screen is intended to support configuration of data transmitted from the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface. It is recommended that the Data Sources feature (MENU->SET-UP->SYSTEM SET-UP->DATA SOURCES) of the i70S MFID be used to configure the system to use the MFD as the system's data source for GPS Position (includes COG/SOG), GPS Datum, and Date & Time.
04-23-19, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 07:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[quote='Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator' pid='28708' dateline='1556041055']
Please note that a vessel which is not moving will have no valid COG or SOG.[\quote]

The boat was moving... see attached photo with 4.1 kts STW, "---" for SOG.

Quote:It is recommended that the Data Sources feature (MENU->SET-UP->SYSTEM SET-UP->DATA SOURCES) of the i70S MFID be used to configure the system

I set it up that way originally with my Garmin 441. I went back and attempted to change that, and the only choices for "SPEED" was "AUTO" and "ITC-5". Selecting "AUTO" still gave me no SOG.

I will go back and double-check that next time I am at my boat.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-24-19, 07:56 AM
tmarks11,

Speed within Raymarine products is synonymous with STW. Please see my earlier statement regarding the i70's Data Sources feature ... I made no mention of the data source for Speed. This feature should be used to specify that the MFD be designated as the data source for GPS Position (includes COG/SOG), GPS Datum, and Date & Time ... where the Garmin chartplotting product had previously been designated as the data source for these items. While not related to the problem, the Speed (STW) data source should be configured to be the iTC-5 as you have noted.
04-24-19, 05:55 PM
Factory reset of the i70s solved the problem.
04-25-19, 09:38 AM
Noted.