Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Software upgrade or not
04-24-19, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 09:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Software upgrade or not
Hi, I bought a boat with a a57D which is great. however it was purchased in 2006 and i wonder if i should upgrade the software ? it has never been done. i look at the raymarine site and there are many updates and i am not sure how i make sure to get all of the right ones and not just a few and screw the unit up. also is there a way to do this at home since my boat is still away for winter (live in cold Boston) ? i cannot figure out how i would power it on... so probably not. thanks for the help folks !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-19, 09:34 AM
RE: [CA11] Software upgrade or not
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Powerlion123,

It is indeed recommended that Raymarine products be maintained with the latest product software updates. The MFD may be powered off of the boat, but would require that the currently installed power cable be removed from the boat or that a R62157 Power/NMEA 0183 Cable be purchased. The power cable may be connected to a 12VDC power supply (3A or greater) or to a battery. While the software of the A-Series Classic MFDs was designed to originally be updated by their owners, sourcing compatible CF memory cards can be quite challenging today and is not advised. Instead, and as has been specified within the FAQ found here, it is recommended that the Radar Marine be contacted to order a compatible CF memory card which has been populate with the latest software update files for your product. Only the latest software update need be performed and it is quite easy and safe to do so when supplied with the aforementioned CF memory card.
04-25-19, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-19 10:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi what do you mean by this sentence below ? contact a dealer for a new CF ? the previous owner had purchased the "Gold" CF and also gave me a spare for doing updates. If its as easy as dragging and dropping the files onto the card and putting in the unti and powering it on i can probably do that. I am not sure if i need ALL of the updates or just certain ones.

it is recommended that the Radar Marine be contacted to order a compatible CF memory card which has been populate with the latest software update files for your product.

thanks again !
04-26-19, 12:03 PM
Powerlion123,

As indicated within my initial response, only the latest software update need be performed. This is because each software update includes the feature additions and corrections of the prior software updates. Accordingly, Raymarine's software update web pages only include the latest software update. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, you have nothing to loose but a bit of your time in determining whether the extra CF memory card which has been left with the system will be compatible with the MFD's bootloader. If not and as indicated within the referenced FAQ, then it would be recommended that Radar Marine be contacted to purchase a compatible CF memory card which will be populated with the software update files for your MFD.

Should one desire to update the MFD's software, then one need simply:

1) download the latest A-Series Classic MFD software update compressed folder.

2) locate the downloaded compressed folder (typically found within the computer's Downloads folder).

3) extract all files from the compressed folder (right click on the compressed folder to view the EXTRACT ALL menu option) into the root level directory of a compatible CF memory card. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE .PKG AND .DOB FILES WITHIN THE COMPRESSED FOLDER.

4) Switch the MFD OFF

5) Insert the CF memory into the MFD's memory card reader

6) Switch the MFD ON

7) If the CF memory card is compatible with the MFD's boot loader and the CF memory card has been properly populated with the software update files, then the MFD's Software Upgrade Utility screen should be displayed.

8) Select UPGRADE THIS UNIT from the options displayed within the MFD's Software Upgrade Utility screen.

9) Eject the CF memory card from the MFD's memory card reader.

10) Upon completion, select the REBOOT option within the MFD's Software Upgrade Utility screen.
04-26-19, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-19 01:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you !
04-26-19, 01:22 PM
You're welcome.