Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Installing ng Network with Existing Instruments
05-29-19, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-19 03:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Installing ng Network with Existing Instruments
I am in the process of developing an integration plan to install an ng network using my existing instruments, plus adding a I70s MFD. I would appreciate it if you could review my attached draft integration diagram and let me know if I am on the correct path. As always, I welcome your suggested revisions and guidance.

Thanks!

Mark Gadson

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine ng Network Wiring Schematic v1 dtd 05-29-2019.pdf (Size: 415.48 KB / Downloads: 263)

Mark P. Gadson
Email: mpg24446@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-19, 03:17 PM
RE: [CA11] Installing ng Network with Existing Instruments
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

The ST60 instruments may not be interfaced to the system in the manner shown within your diagram. Instead, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be added to the backbone or may simply replace the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector shown within your diagram. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be used to interface the ST60 Instruments to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
05-30-19, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thanks for the quick response. The 5-way connector shown in my schematic is a converter, not a connector. To make it somewhat more clear, I added colored circles to indicate the blue, yellow and white connection ports. In the current version, I have a blanking plug in the yellow connection port on the 5-way converter because it was my understanding that the Raymarine i70s can act as a bridging device between the ST60 instruments and the ng backbone. I have shown that with a SeaTalk to Seatalk ng converter cable from the ST60 instruments to the i70s, with a spur cable going from the i70s to the 5-way converter using the white connection port. With this clarification, will the integration work as shown?

Thanks for any follow-up comments/suggested revisions.

Mark Gadson

Attached File(s)
.xlsx  Raymarine ng Wiring Schematic v2 dtd 05-30-2019.xlsx (Size: 96.61 KB / Downloads: 237)

Mark P. Gadson
06-03-19, 10:12 AM
Mark,

Q. It was my understanding that the Raymarine i70s can act as a bridging device between the ST60 instruments and the ng backbone. I have shown that with a SeaTalk to Seatalk ng converter cable from the ST60 instruments to the i70s, with a spur cable going from the i70s to the 5-way converter using the white connection port. With this clarification, will the integration work as shown?
A. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, Raymine's i50/i60/i70/i70S instruments and p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control heads feature communications circuitry which will permit these devices to support either SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications or SeaTalk communications ... BUT NOT BOTH SIMULTANEOUSLY. For maximum performance and features, would typically be recommended that an i70/i70S MFID be interfaced as shown to a spur socket within the system's backbone. If this recommendation is followed, then the SeaTalk bus connected to the ST60 instruments should then be connected to the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter shown within you diagram.
06-03-19, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Understand. By doing so, I just want to confirm that I can calibrate the ST60 instruments through the i70s, correct?

Mark P. Gadson
06-03-19, 11:02 AM
Mark,

Q. I just want to confirm that I can calibrate the ST60 instruments through the i70s, correct?
A. More correctly speaking the i70S/i70 MFIDs are designed to calibrate transducers which have been interfaced to an iTC-5. To do so, the i70S/i70 MFID must be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. When interface to the system in the manner which I had last specified, the ST60 instruments will repeat calibrated instrument data from the iTC-5.
06-03-19, 11:18 AM
Chuck,

Thanks! As always, your guidance is appreciated.

Mark

Mark P. Gadson