Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E22158 Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG compatibility for new install
05-12-16, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-16 09:10 AM by alex.)
E22158 Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG compatibility for new install
Hi,

I return to the forum once again with a similar question I did in 2015. This time I am comissioned for an install that expects me to link a new SeatalNG system consisting of instruments with 2 i70 MFDs and an i75 with an old Autohelm ST7000 Autopilot system.

As seen on the manuals for compatibility (limited) there is up to ST7002 (the gray one) control as the last one that could be connected to an NG system to obtain track and wind link for navigation probably with limited functionality.

I am not confident this will work with the E22158 as the ST7000 is quite an old system, although it was a Seatalk one. So thus my question, as I am not keen to make my client spend on the converter to find out that no functions will be available.

I understand this could be a difficult question for any Raymarine rep as I dont think they would had spent any resources for such an experiment, would anybody out there has had a go with this? what was the outcome, does it work?

Thanks for any help

alex oucinde

nautecnica.blogspot.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-16, 08:07 AM
RE: E22158 Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG compatibility for new install
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Alex,

While SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters which have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update are indeed compatible with the ST7000 Autopilot Control Head, compatibility of the Converter is additionally dependent upon the model of autopilot course computer which is installed onboard. What model of autopilot course computer has been installed on your boat?
Find all posts by this user
05-12-16, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-16 02:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, thanks for answering.

indeed, the connection would have to be made eventually to the Seatalk terminals on the Course Computer as I have found that sometimes connection to the control head didnt work (for old Seatalk linking)
Such Course Computer is the popular Type100, the black heavy and sturdy box.

Thanks again, best regards

alex
05-12-16, 02:13 PM
Alex,

This Forum and its predecessor forum have consistently recommended that autopilot course computer designs introduced prior to the Type 150/300 Autopilot Course Computers (S2/S2G/S3/S3G) not be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As the Type 100 Autopilot Course Computer design preceded the Type 150/300 Autopilot Course Computer design, it is recommended that the Type 100 Autopilot Course Computer be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications protocol to Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs. When doing so, the autopilot control head should also be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and will instead only be interfaced to the autopilot course computer.
05-12-16, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-16 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
thanks for clarification.

best regards
alex
nautecnica.blogspot.com
05-13-16, 09:59 AM
You're welcome.