Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum radar dome quit working
04-24-19, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-19 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Quantum radar dome quit working
My Quantum radar unit has worked fine since installing it. I'm told by Raymarine that my unit is "the first working Quantum" in the US. It has approx. 500 hours of being powered up.
Yesterday we left the dock at 3:30am and the unit worked fine until just before first light. Then it stopped working. The mfd (es127) kept showing no quantum radar found with the serial number. Even after I took the fuse out that powers the quantum and put it back in.
This morning I powered the boat back up and after what seemed like a little extra time, the mfd recognized the quantum and now it's working fine again.

My questions are"|:
Is this a symptom that something in the quantum is beginning to fail?
(Since mine is one of the first maybe something was found later and improved)

If this happens again how long do I need to power the quantum back up?
Or do I need to reboot all of my electronics?

Was this a wifi issue?
Please let me know how I should proceed. I don't want to get stuck with no radar on the water in the dark.

Thanks, Capt' Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-19, 03:01 PM
RE: [CA11] Quantum radar dome quit working
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bhngh,

Quantum radome failures are rare. The most common issue encountered is that the MFD is unable to establish communications with the Quantum radome because the radome has entered sleep mode. As indicated within the FAQ found here and was demonstrated by you, this symptom may be overcome by simply cycling power to the Quantum radome. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, it is recommended that radomes and open array pedestals be powered from a dedicated power circuit which may be switched ON/OFF without affecting the power state of the system's other marine electronics devices. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the Quantum radome's power circuit be switched rather than rely on removing the circuit's fuse to cycle power to the radome.
05-29-19, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-19 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I am having this same issue where my Q2 dome apparently just goes to sleep and cannot be found by my Axiom. The only way I can get it to awaken appears to be to power cycle the entire house battery system for 10 seconds which is a pain to do all the time. The installation documentation for the Q2 doesn't recommend (as far as I can see) using a switch and I didn't install one. I have an in-line fuse. Do I just have to live with this inconvenience or might there be a software workaround that could be deployed?

Operationally, is there anything I can do to prevent the dome from going to sleep like this? For example, do I always need to turn the radar on every time I use the boat even if I am not planning to transmit the dome?

If I did install a switch and turned power off to the unit when I wasn't using the boat, would that solve the issue by effectively acting as a power cycle?

Thanks

Dave
05-29-19, 10:42 AM
Dave,

As indicated within the FAQ referenced above, it is recommended that radomes and open array pedestals be powered from a dedicated power circuit which may be switched ON/OFF without affecting the power state of the system's other marine electronics devices. It should also be noted that the latest software update for Quantum / Quantum 2 radomes is intended to improve communications between MFDs and Quantum / Quantum 2 radomes.
05-29-19, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-19 01:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea whether the software update will be sufficient or you would still recommend adding a switch? I am out of helm switches but have my Autopilot on a switch so I guess I could combine the AP and Raydome on that switch if needed. But if the software will address the issue I would rather not go to the trouble.

Dave
05-29-19, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-19 01:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

Until there's more feedback regarding the improvements in waking a Quantum/Quantum 2 radome from sleep mode it will remain my recommendation to ensure that any radar transducer (radome or open array pedestal) has been powered from a dedicated power circuit which may be switched ON/OFF without affecting the power state of the system's other marine electronics devices. This currently and will continue to be the best installation practice for powering radar transducer until further notice.