Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade failure es128 Lighthouse 3 v3.9.46
04-30-19, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-19 01:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrade failure es128 Lighthouse 3 v3.9.46
Just attempted to install v 3.9.46 using the file raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso (File size 280.4mb). I downloaded the .zip file from the raymarine server and split it into its component parts and installed the above iso file onto a microSD card on its own and inserted in to slot 2 of the es128.

The upgrade proceeded to completion with no errors, but on reboot the Chart which should have been my Navionics charts was black (No chart drawn), although the boat icon, as well as distance rings were displayed.

I tried selecting the home screen and the unit froze requiring powering off. On powering up I had the same black chart so i went into Cartography and selected lighthouse charts, and this gave a map, albeit with little detail, but did display the boat icon and a route with waypoints. I then went back in to Cartography and selected Navionics charts and then my Navionics charts displayed both in Detailed and Fishing modes, however the display again locked up shortly after.

I attempted to install the 2nd file, ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso to see if that made a difference, but the update function said no upgrade was found.

I have now downgraded (again) to 3.7.70 which works fine, as I also had problems with the unit locking up with 3.8.105 (see previous thread).

Any help would be appreciated as I was looking forward to the lay line feature :(

Cheers

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-19, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-19 03:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Upgrade failure es128 Lighthouse 3 v3.9.46
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

It is recommended that the compressed software update folder containing LightHouse 3 for eS/gS-Series MFDs be downloaded from the eS/gS-Series MFD's Software Update web page to one's computer., Raymarine has specified that two microSD cards be used to perform the update. Alternatively, a single microSD memory card may be used. However, doing so will require that that the microSD memory card be first populated with only the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso file from the downloaded compressed folder, that this file be erased, and that the microSD memory card then be populated with the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso from the downloaded compressed folder prior to installing the new LH3 base map cartography.

Software update procedure:
1) Insert a blank microSD memory card into your computer's memory card reader ... recommend using a microSD memory card which is not your system's chart card
2) Download the desired software update compressed folder from the LightHouse 3 for eS/gS-Series MFDs Software Update web page. The compressed folder containing the software update files will be downloaded from the product's software update web page and saved onto the computer used to download the software update zip file ... the downloaded file will typically be located within the Downloads folder of computers running the Windows operating system
3) Open the computer's Downloads folder (or your computer's folder where downloaded files are saved)
4) Right click on the downloaded compressed folder containing the software update files to display a menu of options
5) Left click on the EXTRACT ALL menu option to display the Extract Compressed (zipped) Folders dialog
6) Left click on the Browse button within the Extract Compressed (zipped) Folders dialog to display the Select a Destination dialog
7) Within the Select a Destination dialog, left click on the drive letter corresponding to your microSD memory card, and then click on the OK button.
8) Upon completion of the extraction, right click on the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file within the displayed File Explorer window and select CUT from the displayed menu
9) Close the File Explorer window
10) Position your mouse cursor on the Desktop, right click, and then select paste from the displayed menu
11) Eject the microSD memory card containing from the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso file from PC's memory card reader
12) Insert the second microSD memory card into the MFD's memory card reader
13) right click on the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file on the computer's desktop and select CUT from the displayed menu
14) Run the Windows This PC feature (Search->This PC)
15) Within the scrolling list within the left side of the displayed File Explorer (This PC) window, left click on the drive letter corresponding to your microSD memory card. Doing so will display the contents of the microSD memory card on the right hand side of the File Explorer.
This PC feature
16) Right click within the blank white area of the right side of the this PC feature and select paste from the pop-up menu. Doing so will paste the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file into the root level directory of the second microSD memory card.
17) Close the File Explorer window
18) Eject the second microSD memory card from the PC's memory card reader.

For eS/gS-Series MFD's currently running LightHouse II v19.03 software:
1) Power the system's MFDs ON, permit them all to complete startup initialization, and then acknowledge the Limitations of Use notice.
2) Insert the microSD memory card containing the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader
3) If the MFD does not automatically detect that software updates are available then command the Data Master MFD to Update Software (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES)
4) When provided a list of products for which software updates are available, select to update the software within the eS/gS-Series MFDs and then select the INSTALL NOW option. The Data Master MFD will push the software update out to the system's other eS/gS-Series MFDs.
5) Upon completion of the software update(s), cancel/back out of any open dialogs, and return to the Home screen
6) Eject the microSD memory card containing the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file (HOME->MY DATA->EJECT CARD) from the Data Master MFD's memory card reader and replace it with the microSD memory card containing the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso file.
7) If the MFD does not automatically detect that software updates are available then command the Data Master MFD to Update Software (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES)
8) When provided a list of products for which software updates are available, select to update the software within the eS/gS-Series MFD(s) and then select the INSTALL NOW option. The Data Master MFD will push the software update out to the system's other eS/gS-Series MFDs.
9) Upon completion of the software update(s), cancel/back out of any open dialogs, and return to the Home screen
10) Eject the microSD memory card containing the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso file from the Data Master MFD's memory card reader (HOME->MY DATA->EJECT SD CARD).
11) Optional, but recommended, command a Factory Reset via the Data Master MFD (HOME->SET-UP->THIS DISPLAY->FACTORY RESET)

For eS/gS-Series MFD's currently running LightHouse 3 v3.3.170 or later software:
NOTE: the cartography update included within the LightHouse 3 v3.8.105 software update for eS/gS-Series MFDs is identical to that included within the LightHouse 3 v3.9.46 software update for eS/gS-Series MFDs. Accordingly, should one be updating from LightHouse 3 v3.8.105, then the cartography update (steps 1-6) may be skipped.

1) Power the system's MFDs ON, permit them all to complete startup initialization, and then acknowledge the Limitations of Use notice.
2) Insert the microSD memory card containing the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader
3) If the MFD does not automatically detect that software updates are available then command the Data Master MFD to Update Software (HOME->SET-UP->GETTING STARTED->UPDATE SOFTWARE->CHECK SD CARD)
4) When provided a list of products for which software updates are available, select to update the software within the eS/gS-Series MFDs and then select the INSTALL NOW option. The Data Master MFD will push the software update out to the system's other eS/gS-Series MFDs.
5) Upon completion of the software update(s), cancel/back out of any open dialogs, and return to the Home screen
6) Eject the microSD memory card containing the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso file (HOME->MY DATA->IMPORT/EXPORT->EJECT SD CARD) from the Data Master MFD's memory card reader and replace it with the microSD memory card containing the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso file.
7) If the MFD does not automatically detect that software updates are available then command the Data Master MFD to Update Software (HOME->SET-UP->GETTING STARTED->UPDATE SOFTWARE->CHECK SD CARD)
8) When provided a list of products for which software updates are available, select to update the software within the eS/gS-Series MFD(s) and then select the INSTALL NOW option. The Data Master MFD will push the software update out to the system's other eS/gS-Series MFDs.
9) Upon completion of the software update(s), cancel/back out of any open dialogs, and return to the Home screen
10) Eject the microSD memory card containing the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso file from the Data Master MFD's memory card reader (HOME->MY DATA->EJECT SD CARD).
11) Optional, but recommended, command a Factory Reset via the Data Master MFD (HOME->SET-UP->THIS DISPLAY->FACTORY RESET)
04-30-19, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Chuck,

Thanks so much for the install procedure. See my results below.

Note that I removed all cards from the mfd, so that only the upgrade card was inserted to limit the variables.

Software update procedure:
1) Insert a blank microSD memory card into your computer's memory card reader ... recommend using a microSD memory card which is not your system's chart card

*Empty microSD Card loaded

2) Download the desired software update compressed folder from the LightHouse 3 for eS/gS-Series MFDs Software Update web page. The compressed folder containing the software update files will be downloaded from the product's software update web page and saved onto the computer used to download the software update zip file ... the downloaded file will typically be located within the Downloads folder of computers running the Windows operating system

*Done. File Name "raymarine_eS_gS_LH3.upgrade.zip" Size 436.2 MB

3) Open the computer's Downloads folder (or your computer's folder where downloaded files are saved)

*Yup - there it is :)

4) Right click on the downloaded compressed folder containing the software update files to display a menu of options

*Done

5) Left click on the EXTRACT ALL menu option to display the Extract Compressed (zipped) Folders dialog

*Done

6) Left click on the Browse button within the Extract Compressed (zipped) Folders dialog to display the Select a Destination dialog

*Done

7) Within the Select a Destination dialog, left click on the drive letter corresponding to your microSD memory card, and then click on the OK button.

*Done; Three Files extracted
"raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso"
"ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso"
"Add each ISO file onto a seperate uSD card - otherwise they will not install correctly.txt"
The last file is an empty file but the file name says it all :)

8) After all files have been extracted, remove the microSD memory card containing the software update files from the computer's memory card reader

*Done - even though that TXT file is telling me to do them one at a time :(

9) Power the system's MFDs ON, permit them all to complete startup initialization, and then acknowledge the Limitations of Use notice.

*Done

10) Insert the microSD memory card containing the software update files into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader

*Done

11) If the MFD does not automatically detect that software updates are available then command the Data Master MFD to Update Software (HOME->SET-UP->GETTING STARTED->UPDATE SOFTWARE->CHECK SD CARD)

*MFD did not automatically detect so proceed with HOME->SET-UP->GETTING STARTED->UPDATE SOFTWARE->CHECK SD CARD

12) When provided a list of products for which software updates are available, select to update the software within the eS/gS-Series MFDs. The Data Master MFD will push the software update out to the system's other MFDs.

*es128 listed but with no "tick" in the box and no update identified. If the es128 is selected it asks "Do you want to reinstall the current software V3.7.70?"

Tried extracting original .zip file both on Windows and Mac with identical results.

_________
**Next**

*Tried the file "ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso" on its own.

*Rebooted mfd and went though steps 1 - 11 successfully.

*on setup item 12, es128 listed with no "tick" in the box and no update identified. If the es128 is selected mfd asks "Do you want to reinstall the current software V3.7.70?"

Tried the file "raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso" on its own.

*Rebooted mfd and went though steps 1 - 11

*Inserted card and Update recognised immediately.
Message "Software update found. Install the update now?" yes/no options. and yes selected. Software installed with no errors. Mfd rebooted after install and message Software successfully updated to V3.9.46

*Displaying Lighthouse maps as navionics card not inserted.

* Inserted microSD with only file "ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso" again but still not recognised. The result was es128 listed with no "tick" in the box and no update identified. If the es128 is selected it asks "Do you want to reinstall the current software V3.9.46?"

________
** Now the litmus test.**

The mfd is upgraded but displaying Lighthouse maps.

*Inserted Navionics card
*In the HOME>SETTINGS screen the Navionics card is recognised as
"SD1:Navionics 62P+
Last Updated 26/04/19"
*Selected Chart display.
*Selected cartography and ticked Navionics.
*Screen went black except for boat icon, distance rings and route. No map drawn and no ring with map drawing progress indicator.
*Selected cartography and selected Lighthouse maps. MFD froze. Then after 30 secs did and uncommanded reboot.

Tried several different reboots with identical results.

==========
SUMMARY

*All files on one SD card not recognised as an upgrade.
*File "ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso" not recognised as an upgrade in either v3.7.70 or v3.9.46
*File "raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso" successfully upgrades the mfd running Lighthouse maps.
*On selecting navionics maps the screen goes black with no drawing of the navionics map, and no display of loading progress indicator. MFD information such as boat icon, distance rings, and route displayed on the black background.

I've now downgraded to 3.7.70 :)

Cheers

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
05-04-19, 09:00 PM
Chuck,

Just wondering if there is any resolution to this problem or anything else I could try? I really like some of the features of 3.9 but it seems not to play well with Navionics on my es128

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
05-06-19, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-19 03:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ChilliHeat,

NOTE: See updated instructions within my initial post.

Q. _____________
**And Then**

Tried the file "raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso" on its own.

*Rebooted mfd and went though steps 1 - 11

*Inserted card and Update recognised immediately.
Message "Software update found. Install the update now?" yes/no options. and yes selected. Software installed with no errors. Mfd rebooted after install and message Software successfully updated to V3.9.46

*Displaying Lighthouse maps as navionics card not inserted.

* Inserted microSD with only file "ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso" again but still not recognised. The result was es128 listed with no "tick" in the box and no update identified. If the es128 is selected it asks "Do you want to reinstall the current software V3.9.46?"

A. This is the correct process. However, I have also encountered problems when installing LH3 v3.9.46 onto my desk system's eS/gS-Series MFDs. I have requested assistance from our engineering team and I am currently awaiting their response. As some have reports success in performing the procedure stated above, you may want to consider downloading the software again and/or attempting the software update with another microSD memory card (4GB >= capacity <= 32GB).
09-12-19, 11:04 PM
Sorry this has taken so long to follow up, but we have undergone a refit and spent quite a while at sea.

I have upgraded to 3.10.42. I noted with the previous version as well as this one that Navionics works fine - it just takes its time :)

If I boot the MFD (eS128) and select chart I wait 90 secs (exactly - every time) and all is fine. Just don’t touch any other buttons.

So its not a gremlin - just a chance for a cup of coffee!

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
09-13-19, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-19 08:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ChilliHeat,

Thanks for the additional feedback. Please note that the processing demands of LH3 are significantly greater than those of LHII. Accordingly, it is recommended that one proceed with the update of a system of eS/gS-Series MFDs to LH3 only with the understanding that performance may appear to be degraded when compared to the performance of LHII on those same MFDs. Should the performance of the system following the update to LH3 not meet one's need, then it would be recommended that the system of eS/gS-Series MFDs be downgraded to LHII. This is particularly so for those whose systems do not include Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs.