Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] ST60+ wind
04-30-19, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-19 01:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] ST60+ wind
Hi, I have Raymarine ST60+ Wind Instrument and masthead unit, which appears to work but is giving misleading information. Apparent Wind Direction is normally to Port and typically appears to be about 90 degrees away from where it should be, and the wind speed is reading about 30% lower than it should be. So far I have checked, Calibration is set to 0, and wind direction flicks to dead ahead when powered up without the masthead unit connected. We have a 12.5v supply on the Seatalk line, and 8v on the red wire going up to the MHU, and 0v on the screen. With 30kts of wind the signal on the yellow wire in unreadable, and with wind coming from 180 degrees, directly behind the boat we have around 2.4v on Blue and 2.6v on Green wire, and the wind indicator is showing wind at 90 degrees to port. Is this a known issue? And which is most likely to be causing this? MHU or the ST60+ wind instrument?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-19, 07:19 AM
RE: [DG11] ST60+ wind
Hi Stormcruiser,

Given the voltages that you have identified, it would appear that the masthead unit is the most likely faulty piece of the system.

Thanks
Derek
05-01-19, 08:53 AM
Many thanks for your prompt feedback, I will get it down and see if I can get it tested locally
05-18-19, 01:32 PM
Hi Derek, Thanks for your advise, I have now been to the top of the mast and been able to test the unit further.
With the MHU conected to the ST60+ we have around 7.5v on the Red supply wire (Measured at base of mast)
The Blue and Green both return sine wave signals back down to the ST60+ ranging from +2v to +4v, based on the wind direction, with Blue peaking at +4v at 90 degree Stbd and Green peaking at +4v with wind dead ahead (measured at base of mast and on back of ST60+)
With the ST60+ connected, circling the wind vane through 360 degrees, only oscilates the displayed wnd angle between 30 and 170 degrees to port.
The voltages on the Blue and Green lines look a little lower than I was expecting. Are they enough?
Or is this more likley to be a problem in the ST60+ unit?
05-22-19, 10:38 AM
Hi Stormcruiser

the voltages from the masthead unit look lower than expected - they should peak circa 5.5 to 6v, so based on your measurements, the MHU looks suspicious.

regards

Derek