Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] AIS reciever connection to Multiple MFD's
04-30-19, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 05:02 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] AIS reciever connection to Multiple MFD's
Hi I presently have a ICOM AIS receiver connected to my eS7 MFD via the Nema183 input. It has worked fine.
Last fall I bought an Axiom 12. It has no NEMA 183 interface . So it was suggested that one way to get the AIS information to the AXIOM is to use an Actisense NGW-1-AIS NMEA Gateway for AIS Systems (Nema 183 to Nema 2000). Then connect that into my Raymarine network which is connected to both the eS and the AXIOM MFD's. They both show speed thru water,depth and wind etc as all those instruments are on the network.

Question 1: Do you think this would work for the AIS on the Axiom?

Question 2: Would you expect any issue with the AIS feeding to the two MFD'S simultaneously via the NEMA 183 connection ?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-19, 06:03 PM
RE: [LW11] AIS reciever connection to Multiple MFD's
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum E.hatch2086,

General comment: As eS-Series MFDs may be updated with LightHouse 3 software, why not simply connect the two MFDs to one another via Ethernet communications. Doing so will permit much more than the sharing of AIS data. Should the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS be interfaced to the AIS receiver/transceiver and then to a spur socke within the backbone then this data will not only be shared between the MFDs, but should the system feature an i70/i70S MFID, then it too would have access to this data. Alternatively, should the AIS receiver/transceiver be interfaced to the eS-Series MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface, then this data will be shared with the Axiom MFD alone via the aforementioned Ethernet communications interface.

Q1: Do you think this would work for the AIS on the Axiom?
A1. Yes. This is essentially the configuration utilized by my desk based test station where both MFDs running LightHouse II software and those running LightHouse 3 software are simultaneously interfaced with the same backbone to an AIS transceiver. See the general comment above for the recommended solution to maximize features within the system.

Q2: Would you expect any issue with the AIS feeding to the two MFD'S simultaneously via the NEMA 183 connection ?
A2. Possibly ... if referring to paralleling the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output from AIS transceiver. It has been our experience that such paralleling may adversely affect communications of AIS data within the system. See the recommendations specified within the General Comment above addressing recommended solutions.
05-03-19, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-19 10:25 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] AIS reciever connection to Multiple MFD's
Thanks Chuck.
I am resisting updating the eS7 to Lighthouse 3 for two reasons.

1. From what I understand I would then loose my autopilot capability on the eS7 as the auto pilot is a Raymarine 2004 vintage which does not work with Axiom. It presently works with the eS7

2. I liked the idea of having 2 independent MFD's , each using its on own GPS input and chart . From what I understand if they are networked then one is the master and the other is the slave. Thus I assumed that if the Master went down failed for some reason the slave would not work.
05-06-19, 10:50 AM
RE: [LW11] AIS reciever connection to Multiple MFD's
E.hatch2086,

Q1. From what I understand I would then loose my autopilot capability on the eS7 as the auto pilot is a Raymarine 2004 vintage which does not work with Axiom. It presently works with the eS7.
A1. This is not completely true. It simply means that the Autopilot Controls feature within the LightHouse 3 software may not be exercised. Instead, the autopilot's control head would be used to command the autopilot into Standby, Auto, and Track modes as well as to configure the autopilots settings. Navigational data required to permit operation in track mode is passed by the MFD to the autopilot.

Q2. I liked the idea of having 2 independent MFD's , each using its on own GPS input and chart . From what I understand if they are networked then one is the master and the other is the slave. Thus I assumed that if the Master went down failed for some reason the slave would not work.
A2. Not so. Should the system's Data Master MFD ever suffer a failure, then the other MFD would simply need to be reconfigured as the system's Data Master.