Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Axiom MFD wind direction 60 degrees off
05-06-19, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 08:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Axiom MFD wind direction 60 degrees off
I have a Axiom MFD 9" and a ST60 wind display. The Axiom has the new software upgrade dated April 2019. The ST 60 wind display displays the wind speed and direction correctly. I recently re-calibrated the wind meter by turning in 2 circles and and it beeped and flashed. It seems to be working correctly.

My Axiom 9" MFD displays the wind speed correctly but the wind direction is off by 60 degrees. If I do the alignment adjustment on the ST 60 display to be 60 degrees off then the Axiom will display the wind direction correctly. I have tried both True and magnet North settings and get the same thing on the MFD. How can I get the MFD and the ST60 to read the same direction?

Thank You
Mike McIntosh

System:
Axiom 9" (April 2019 upgrade)
ST 60 wind instrument
ST 60 Tridata display
ST 4000+ autopilot

All are connected together and work via sea talk and backbone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-19, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 08:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Axiom MFD wind direction 60 degrees off
Hello Mike,

Assuming your ST60 and Axiom are both displaying the same wind data type (both Apparent or both True), the problem will be the ST60's pointer calibration. This is not the same as the wind angle alignment (standard part of installation setup which I see that you've done), but a low-level, factory/self-test calibration which is not documented in the handbook. What's happening is that there's a difference between what the ST60 thinks is the wind angle (and that it's outputting onto the Seatalk network and trying to aim the pointer at) and where the pointer is actually aiming. I often find myself having to persuade people that this diagnosis is correct, people always instinctually blame the receiving rather than the transmitting display, but I can assure you that this was a common problem with ST60 and ST60+ (can also occasionally happen with i60) that we've seen many times.

If you recalibrate the pointer according to the attached document (Self Test stage 3), then re-do the wind angle alignment, I am confident that the ST60 and Axiom will agree.
To do the calibration, you'll need to step past Self Test 1&2 and go to stage 3, where you'll cycle the display through a series of pointer angles displayed in 30-degree increments in the LCD. In each case, you move the pointer clockwise/anticlockwise until the pointer shows the same angle as the number displayed on the screen. I would suggest going round 3 times: once to adjust, once to fine-tune and final time to check.

Regards,
Tom

Attached File(s)
.pdf  ST60_Wind_selftest.pdf (Size: 38 KB / Downloads: 1205)

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-10-19, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 08:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
When it refers to pressing Key1, key3, etc I am guessing it is referring to pressing the buttons Key1 being the left button, Key4 being the farthest button to the right?

Thanks
05-12-19, 10:04 AM
(05-10-19 02:53 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello Mike,

Assuming your ST60 and Axiom are both displaying the same wind data type (both Apparent or both True), the problem will be the ST60's pointer calibration. This is not the same as the wind angle alignment (standard part of installation setup which I see that you've done), but a low-level, factory/self-test calibration which is not documented in the handbook. What's happening is that there's a difference between what the ST60 thinks is the wind angle (and that it's outputting onto the Seatalk network and trying to aim the pointer at) and where the pointer is actually aiming. I often find myself having to persuade people that this diagnosis is correct, people always instinctually blame the receiving rather than the transmitting display, but I can assure you that this was a common problem with ST60 and ST60+ (can also occasionally happen with i60) that we've seen many times.

If you recalibrate the pointer according to the attached document (Self Test stage 3), then re-do the wind angle alignment, I am confident that the ST60 and Axiom will agree.
To do the calibration, you'll need to step past Self Test 1&2 and go to stage 3, where you'll cycle the display through a series of pointer angles displayed in 30-degree increments in the LCD. In each case, you move the pointer clockwise/anticlockwise until the pointer shows the same angle as the number displayed on the screen. I would suggest going round 3 times: once to adjust, once to fine-tune and final time to check.

Regards,
Tom

Hello Sir

I figured out the the Keys and buttons are the same thing. I was able to run through the Self Test sequense like in the attachment you provided. It appears that everything went good. However, changing the wind angle like described in step 3 di not change how the wind angle is displayed on the Axiom MFD. Is there somethjing else I can try.

Thank You
Mike McIntosh
05-12-19, 06:26 PM
Hello Mike,

I've documented the process a little more at this FAQ. There's a video that should make things clearer.

If you've done the pointer calibration you'll next need to do the wind angle alignment again. If you've done so and the two are still reading differently then perhaps you could show me what's happening with some photos or a video?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.