Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] Adding one more autopilot (ACU200) and upgrading my network to STNG
04-15-19, 05:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-19 09:50 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] Adding one more autopilot (ACU200) and upgrading my network to STNG
Trying to learn as much as possible about the SeaTalk and SeaTalkNG network before I redesign my network. But I would appreciate if all you experts took a look at my proposed new network design. I also am not sure about where to connect some of the stuff such as power.

Currently the whole network is SeaTalk1 except for a e95 and i70 at the helm connected using a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter kit. All transducers (speed, depth and wind) are also connected directly to the ST60 displays.

What I want to achieve by upgrading to STNG and adding an ICT-5 is the following
- Upgrade the network to SeaTalkNG for possibility of adding additional devices later such as new AIS, better displays, new plotter etc
- Add redundancy on autopilot for longer passages (If the ACU200 fails I will move the power, linear drive and rudder sensor from the ACU200 to the S2G).

Have some questions as well..
- Where should I best add power to the networks?
- Is it better to have only one SeaTalk1 network or can I use several SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converters?
- Can the p70 and ST6001 be connected at the same time?
- For redundancy, is it better to keep the S2G and the ST6001 on an own ”network” with just these devices?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-19, 07:27 AM
RE: [LW11] Adding one more autopilot (ACU200) and upgrading my network to STNG
Dear JonasE,

With regards to the installation of the STng network, please refer to the manual to ensure you install this correctly (this will include information on powering the network). The manual is available here.

Have some questions as well..
- Where should I best add power to the networks?
The seatalk 1 network will require a 12v supply and the STng network will require its own 12v supply. Please keep these separate. When using the ST1 to STng convertor make sure you do not power the STng network twice, you may have to modify the seatalk 1 cable to use the screen and yellow (ST1 data cable) and tape the red 12v back.

- Is it better to have only one SeaTalk1 network or can I use several SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converters?
You can have multiple ST1 to Stng convertors in the network, just be aware of the 12v power and ensure you do not loop any ST1 data and this will cause conflicting data.

- Can the p70 and ST6001 be connected at the same time?
I would not recommend connecting 2 autopilot control heads to the same course computer/ network. I would keep the ST6001 as a spare as this will have limited functionality controlling the EV pilot.

- For redundancy, is it better to keep the S2G and the ST6001 on an own ”network” with just these devices?
Keeping the older pilot as a standalone system is a good fall back if you are doing long passages and your current pilot becomes faulty. Blue water cruisers usually take a spare.

In your drawing, the e95 and i70 are on ST1 and Stng. Connect these to the STng network and not to ST1. Remember the STng network requires terminators as there are none on the drawing.
Put the EV1 sensor on its own spur rather than the iTC-5.

Many Thanks
Louise
Find all posts by this user
05-03-19, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-19 10:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank for the input

I have read up on the manual a bit and taken your recommendations into consideration, still, have some questions though
- Power STng network through the ACU200
- Added terminals to the STng in the image (had already planned to use them, but had a hard time adding them to the last image)
- Extended to the STng network to the displays above the companionway and added an STng-ST1 converter
- Isolated the S2G and the ST6001 from the rest of the network

Not sure why should I not power the ST1 from the STng network or if this applies to both ST1 networks in my updated image?

- If I extend the STng network to the four displays and use an STng-ST1 converter I would not like to add power just for the three ST60 displays.
- At the Nav station, there will only be three devices on the ST1 network connected with the second STng-ST1 converter (MiniPlex, S100 and the old GPS RN300). Could the S100 and the MiniPlex not get power coming from the STng network?

Thanks for all the great support
/Jonas

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-19, 02:55 AM
Dear jonasE,

Thank you for your query.

Q1) Power STng network through the ACU200
A1) You can power the STng network from the ACU200

Q2)If I extend the STng network to the four displays and use an STng-ST1 converter I would not like to add power just for the three ST60 displays.
A2) The maximum recommended ST1 instruments to be powered from the STng backbone is 4 - your 3 ST60 instruments will be ok.

Q3) At the Nav station, there will only be three devices on the ST1 network connected with the second STng-ST1 converter (MiniPlex, S100 and the old GPS RN300). Could the S100 and the MiniPlex not get power coming from the STng network?
A3) I would advise to power the S100 and the Miniplex independently from the STng network.

Many Thanks
Louise
Find all posts by this user