Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom/Quantum 2 upgrade requirements
05-07-19, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-19 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom/Quantum 2 upgrade requirements
I have installed an Axiom 12 (currently 3.8. But upgrading to 3.9) and I am adding a Quantum 2 radar. In the manual, I states I need aN EV-1 for Doppler and MARPA features, so I purchased a stand-alone EV-1.

1. Can the EV-1 be commissioned via the Axiom?
2. Since the EV-1 is technically the brains of the Evolution AP system, will I gain more control/information from type 100/ ST7001+ autopilot (currently running on a Seatalk/SeaTalkng converter)? Moving from LH2 to LH3 killed a lot of features/control from the MFD.
3. Any other gotchas to this install?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-19, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-19 12:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom/Quantum 2 upgrade requirements
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dtfeld,

General comments:

The system's SeaTalkng backbones and/or SeaTalk bus should only feature a single autopilot course computer. As your SeaTalk bus already features a Type 100 autopilot course computer (not supported for use with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter), installing and EV-1 or EV-2 CCU within this system would in turn violate this requirement.

The statement which you have referenced has been obsoleted with the recent introduction of the E70537 AR200 Augmented Reality sensor. Not only is this sensor less expensive than an EV-1 CCU, but it may be calibrated via the LightHouse 3 software.

Given the above, it would be recommended that the EV-1 CCU be returned and replaced with the E70537 AR200 Augmented Reality sensor.

Q1. Can the EV-1 be commissioned via the Axiom?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Since the EV-1 is technically the brains of the Evolution AP system, will I gain more control/information from type 100/ ST7001+ autopilot (currently running on a Seatalk/SeaTalkng converter)? Moving from LH2 to LH3 killed a lot of features/control from the MFD.
A2. See the opening comments.

Q3. Any other gotchas to this install?
A3. See opening comments.
05-09-19, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-19 02:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Will the AR200 also provide the relavant data to and ACU-150/P70rs to update the autopilot to the most current generation? Or if updating the autopilot will I need both and EV-1 and AR200. The seem very similar to me.
05-09-19, 02:16 PM
dtfeld,

Q1. Will the AR200 also provide the relavant data to and ACU-150/P70rs to update the autopilot to the most current generation?
A1. Negative. If considering an Evolution autopilot, then an EV-1 would be required. While the AR200 is designed to also sense vessel motion, it does not perform the autopilot processing which is additionally found within the EV-1. If considering to use the Quantum 2 features specified, then you may want to consider upgrading the autopilot at this time rather than add components bit by bit.