Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Follow-On Tiller Installation and Setup
05-08-19, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 02:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Follow-On Tiller Installation and Setup
I have an ES128 MFD and an EV200 autopilot with rudder feedback sensor. The MFD is new to me this year; I had been using the autopilot successfully with a C120W MFD.

I have installed a Follow-On Tiller and I am seeking guidance on integrating it into my system. Currently the FOT is powering on when the AP is powered on and the function indicator light is green ("functioning normally").

I've attempted to follow the cryptic, one-line configuration instructions for the FOT, which indicate that I should see/select (?) "power steer" in the system setup but I am not. Also, when I try to select power steer by pressing the standby button on the FOT, I get a rudder feed-back fault alarm on both the MFD and AP.

The ES128 is running LightHouse II. Perhaps I need a software update for the MFD? For the AP?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-19, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 02:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Follow-On Tiller Installation and Setup
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TideRace,

Please note that you autopilot must feature a p70RS or p70R autopilot control head and this mode must be commanded through the autopilot control head. This feature is not supported for use with the p70S and p70 autopilot control heads. You will first need to go into Drive settings and configure the drive settings power steer mode to proportional (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->DRIVE SETTINGS->POWER STEER->PROPORTIONAL). Next, press the CANCEL/BACK option several times until all menus have been exited. Finally, press MENU->MODE->POWER STEER.
05-12-19, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-19 09:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. I have the p70RS. “Power Steer” does not show up in Drive Settings. Since posting my question I’ve checked a couple of things. In Diagnostics, the pilot lists all of the components of the system except the rudder sensor. When I performed the ohm test that you posted elsewhere on this forum I got nothing for red-blue and red-green and an erroneously high reading for green-blue. So, it appears that the rudder sensor is not working. Having taken the time to reread the pilot commissioning instructions again, which I may have misinterpreted, I’m not sure it ever was working. I have a new rudder sensor on the way. I will report back.
05-13-19, 09:39 AM
TideRace,

Noted. Please additionally verify that your Evolution autopilot components have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. The versions of the of software within the system's devices having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface may be determined by executing the following command on the autopilot control head: MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM.
05-19-19, 05:57 AM
Hi Chuck,

Here's an update. Short story, everything is working...

I installed a new rudder reference sensor. It still does not show up in the list of autopilot system components on the ES128 display or the p70RS control head. But I now see the "Power Steer" option in Drive Settings and I am seeing the rudder position in the position bar at the top of the display for the first time.

An important note: for the new rudder sensor to work, a system reset on the p70RS was required. Initially, without the reset, it did not work and I was extremely discouraged. But I read a couple more posts in this forum about rudder sensor issues and found the reset suggestion.

I completed the configuration settings, as you indicated, and the follow on tiller now engages the autopilot and provides remote steering as intended. Without operational instructions I'm learning by trial and error but so far I'm very satisfied and relieved to have it working.

Thanks for your help.
05-20-19, 12:27 PM
TideRace,

You're welcome and thanks for the follow-up.