Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Pro no data on NMEA2000
05-09-19, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Pro no data on NMEA2000
Hi there!

I have a new Axiom Pro setup on a NMEA2000 network. It is VERY basic: two T-connectors (one to Axiom, one to power) then 20' backbone to another T-connector for a YachtDevice YDES 04 engine gateway monitor.

Terminated on both ends.

The engine monitor does not see any data (usually will at least see the time and GPS position sentences to confirm data on the network), and the Axiom does not see the nmea2000 device....

I have two of everything so I replaced the gateway, drop cables and backbone, but same result.

Is there a setting that I can't find to activate nmea2000 on the Axiom?

I do have the two NMEA0183 inputs working fine on some legacy transducer and autopilot but the NMEA2000 seems inoperable....

Thanks!
LB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-19, 08:46 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom Pro no data on NMEA2000
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum LimaBavo,

Q. Is there a setting that I can't find to activate nmea2000 on the Axiom?
A. With the exception of configuring the MFD which has been interfaced to the NMEA 2000 backbone as the system's Data Master MFD (not necessary if the system features only one MFD), there is no setting provided within Raymarine MFDs to activate the MFD's NMEA 2000 communications interface. In systems featuring only two NMEA 2000 devices, the fault may be rooted within either one of the devices (assuming that power to the backbone has been verified. In such situations, a NMEA 2000 analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 and Actisense's free NMEA Reader software, etc.) would be interfaced to the backbone in place of one of the devices to determine whether it is transmitting data to the NMEA 2000 backbone. In the case of the MFD, it should transmit if it is the system's Data Master MFD and has acquired a GPS position FIX. Alternatively, the MFD may be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
05-10-19, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck!!

I do have power on the nmea2000 with a total LEN calculated at about 4, so voltage is good at the YDES device.

So question: if I do a MicroSD card with the log file log_stng_data and it captured the Axiom Pro's nmea2000 stream I could assume the Axiom is good?
05-10-19, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-19 03:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
LimaBavo,

Q. if I do a MicroSD card with the log file log_stng_data and it captured the Axiom Pro's nmea2000 stream I could assume the Axiom is good?
A. This would only be true if the log indicated received (RX) NMEA 2000 communications.
05-15-19, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-19 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Well the datastream from the log_stng_data file created today shows all TX data sentences and no RX data sentences.

To further troubleshoot I purchased a Nmea2000 to wifi converter and logged the data on the backbone from the engine monitors (using free nmea2000 tools on my laptop). The engine data is all there, but none of the TX data (from above Axiom Pro file, GPS, Time, and etc...data) is on the network.

I decided it must be the drop cable from the Axiom Pro 9 to the backbone T connector. Changed that out with a new one, same results.

So it appears that I have a problem with my Axiom Pro requiring that it be sent in for service??? .....or is there other hope?

Thanks Chuck,

LimaB
05-16-19, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-19 08:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
LimaBavo,

Unfortunately and as you have suggested, the Axiom Pro MFD appears to have suffered a failure of its NMEA 2000 communications circuitry. Should the MFD have been purchased within the last 30 days, then it would be recommended it be returned to your Raymarine dealer for replacement. Otherwise, the MFD will need to be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-12-19, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-19 08:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hey Chuck, quick question. I was able to "borrow" a second unit from my dealer to replace the one in for service.

Is there a way to make sure / test that the NMEA0183 port 1 output (talker) is working....? I can't get this Axiom pro to send Nav Waypoint or Route data to my Autopilot 0183 input. I even tried my VHF input for DSC and MMSI, but doesn;t work. Both seem to not see this units 0183, although the Nmea2000 and port 1 & 2 input (listener) are all working. Just doesn't seem to send 0183 data out....? Am I missing a setting or perhaps 0183 and 2000 don't work in tandem?
06-13-19, 08:31 AM
LimaBavo,

Unfortunately, the diagnostics supported by LightHouse 3 software do not presently include NMEA 0183 diagnostics. Transmissions from any Axiom Pro / XL MFD's NMEA 0183 port will occur as long as data is available to be transmitted. Such transmissions are independent of any NMEA 2000 processing performed by the MFD. However, successful NMEA 0183 communications is dependent upon the talker and listener both being configured to support the same data rate (i.e. 4800 or 38400) and for the MFD's NMEA 0183 transmission mode (single ended or differential) to be configured to match that of the listener's NMEA 0183 communications circuitry.
06-13-19, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Got it, thank you Sir !
06-13-19, 08:59 AM
You're welcome.