Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Speed bouncing
05-10-19, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-19 01:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Speed bouncing
My GPS speed on my Axiom9 bounces around wildly when trolling in the 2-3kt range. Is there a way to adjust the settings so the speed updates less frequently so as to smooth out the reported number?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-19, 01:48 PM
RE: [CA11] Speed bouncing
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ddfour1,

MFDs running LightHouse 3 software are capable of reporting two different types of speed data ... speed over ground (SOG) and speed through water (STW). If the reported issue concerns SOG, then it may be indicative of more than one source of GPS data within the system and/or insufficient GPS signal strength being sensed by system's source of GPS data. For maximum performance, it is recommended that the GPS data source for the system be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. Have you used the MFD's Data Sources feature specify which data source will be used for GPS? If so, which device was designated as the system's GPS data source? Has it been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead?
05-13-19, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-19 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I believe I found the adjustment I was looking for. I previously had it set but lost the setting after I did a factory re-set trying to correct another issue. Anyhow, I was indeed talking about GPS speed and the setting I was trying to recall is the SOG filter (according to the amount of vessel oscillation to provide more table SOG values) under GNSS Settings. When trolling in waves at slow speeds (2-3 kts), the SOG values bounces around pretty wildly. Turning that filter up really smooths out the readout.

thanks

Dave
05-13-19, 03:39 PM
Dave,

Indeed that is what the purpose of the COG/SOG filter is for.