Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] No Rudder Position Indication
05-13-19, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-19 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] No Rudder Position Indication
I have just installed P70Rs, ACU150 and EV1. I am not getting any rudder position indication on the P70Rs. The rudder position is from the previous set of installed Raymarine gear, with Raymarine stamped on the top of it, but I couldn't read any part number information on it.

I checked the rudder using the steps in http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=95. Values were within norms:
Red-Green; 4.73k ohms constant across full range of rudder movement
Red-Blue (black in my case); Full port=2.11, midships=2.48; Full Stbd=2.81
Blue-Greeen; Full port=2.84, midships=2.45; Full Stbd=2.13

I took the boat out for a spin, and the Autopilot went through its 'Detecting Magnetics' process, (even though I hadn't completed the dockside wizard). I really want to get do the dockside wizard process, with the rudder position working, so that is why the wizard was not yet completed.

So I think that everything is wired properly. Rudder position wiring goes to the ACU-150. The ACU is connected to SeatalkNG. The P70Rs is also connected to SeatalkNG, as is the EV1. I am seeing degree changes on the EV1.

Am I missing any configuration settings? Or??

tks

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-19, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-19 03:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] No Rudder Position Indication
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Typically Raymarine's M81105 Rudder Reference Transducer will be interfaced to the ACU's Rudder terminals by matching the colors of the transducer leads to the rudder cable connection terminals of the ACU. The autopilot will not sense the presence of a rudder reference transducer when the rudder angle exceeds 30 degrees. Accordingly, it is best to star up the system with the rudder close to amidships. The Dockside Wizard may be re-executed via the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->SETUP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->DOCKSIDE WIZARD.
05-14-19, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 12:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Does the dockside wizard need to be initiated in order for the rudder position to display? The rudder was in the amidships position when everything was installed.
05-14-19, 12:08 PM
Dhacker,

Q. Does the dockside wizard need to be initiated in order for the rudder position to display?
A. Negative. Straight out of the box, the autopilot will display rudder angle data if it senses that a compatible and operational rudder reference transducer has been interfaced to the ACU. If your ACU150 included a rudder reference transducer, then you may want to test it the autopilot with this ACU ... if nothing more than to verify that the autopilot reports rudder angle (calibrated or not).
05-14-19, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 02:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Other than the Ohm test that I completed (with what appear to be satisfactory results), is there any other test that I can perform? Suggested next steps?

thanks,

Dave
05-14-19, 02:43 PM
Dave,

As you indicated, the results of your rudder transducer test were right in the expected range of values. Without having another rudder angle transducer to test the system with, the finger is currently pointing to a potential problem with the ACU and it would accordingly be recommended that it be brought to your dealer for testing or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
05-14-19, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-19 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.
3 follow-up questions:
1. I was thinking of creating a very simple setup for testing purposes only. Just the ACU150 connected to SeaTalkNG, along with the P70Rs also connected to SeaTalkNG? So an ultra simple SeaTalkNG network. Would the EV1 also need to be connected in this simple scenario? Should this simple setup allow for a rudder reference indication to be displayed?

2. If I send the ACU150 in for bench testing should I also include the P70Rs?

3. Something just occurred to me. Are the 'motor' connections on the ACU150 polarity sensitive?

thanks,
05-15-19, 08:13 AM
Q1. I was thinking of creating a very simple setup for testing purposes only. Just the ACU150 connected to SeaTalkNG, along with the P70Rs also connected to SeaTalkNG? So an ultra simple SeaTalkNG network. Would the EV1 also need to be connected in this simple scenario? Should this simple setup allow for a rudder reference indication to be displayed?
A1. The EV-1 CCU must be included within the simple backbone.

Q2. If I send the ACU150 in for bench testing should I also include the P70Rs?
A2. While it shouldn't be necessary, sending in each of the autopilot's major components (ACU, EV-1, and p70RS) would allow the technician to test all components of the autopilot system.

Q3. Something just occurred to me. Are the 'motor' connections on the ACU150 polarity sensitive?
A3. Negative. Per the FAQ found here, autopilot drive units feature reversing DC motors. Should the drive move the rudder in the direction opposite that which was commanded by the control head, then the motor lead connections to the ACU will need to be reversed.
05-24-19, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-19 02:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck a quick update and a suggestion.
Update - in the process of creating the smaller test network, and documenting the existing wring I found a connection had been missed.
Suggestion - Even after connecting the one device that I had missed, it appeared to me that the rudder position was still not working. However, as soon as I turned the steering wheel, I could see the correct operation. I was confused because my previous autopilot (RayPilot 650) showed a rudder position even when the rudder was amidships! The new p70RS only shows a rudder position when it is port or stbd of center. When the rudder is perfectly centered, on the p70RS there is no rudder indication. It might be helpful for this to be added to the user guide.

Thanks again chuck for your help on this matter.

Dave
05-28-19, 02:13 PM
Dave,

You're welcome and good suggesting regarding turning the wheel.