Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] MFD freeze - data collision?
05-15-19, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-19 08:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] MFD freeze - data collision?
Recently, my e95 has started freezing, or at least taking a very long time to load charts from the Navionics card. It happens on either initially loading or any time the screen needs to be redrawn during use. This does not seem to happen using Lighthouse charts, but I have not fully tested this. The Navionics chip is up to date. It also happens using a different Navionics chip.

It was suggested to me that perhaps other components on the network might be contributing. So I tested this by turning off power to all other instruments so that only the MFD has power to it. That does seem to improve the situation.

My system comprises the e95, HD radome, iTC-5, i60, i70, AIS650, GPS, Raystar 130, the EV200 Sail components, a couple of 5 way connectors, and an ST-STng converter.

Any help would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-19, 08:57 AM
RE: [CA11] MFD freeze - data collision?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Paul,

Typically, the symptom reported is resulting from operating the system with older software or a fault within the software. Less frequently, but still possible, the chart card media or the MFD's memory card reader is at fault. Accordingly, tt is recommended that you first verify the version of software which is installed within of the system's devices and if any are found to not be the latest, that the software within the system's devices be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the Chart application's Sonar Logging feature (MENU->PRESENTATION->DEPTHS & CONTOURS->SONAR LOGS) be disabled. Should the problem continue to persist, then it would be recommended that the MFD's waypoint, route, and track data be backed up to a microSD memory card, that the MFD's customizations and settings be noted (recommend taking screen snapshots or photographs)and that a System Settings & Data Reset (HOME->SETUP->MAINTENANCE->SYSTEM SETTINGS & DATA RESET) be executed ... be certain to disable the Sonar Logging feature afterwards. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the MFD be tested with another Navionics chart card. Should the problem persist or no other Navionics chart card be available for testing, then it would be recommended that the MFD and Navionics chart card only be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
05-15-19, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-19 03:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the timely response. I am on the boat and preparing to go through a lengthy diagnostic and one of your suggested solutions seems to do the job. It was to disable sonar logging. So far it seems to help considerably. Out of curiosity, can you explain why it works? Bandwidth or processing limitations or something else? Also, why did the problem appear only recently?

Thanks again.

Paul
05-15-19, 03:17 PM
Paul,

As indicated, the problem may be indicative of a memory card reader or microSD memory card which is in the beginning stages of failure. By eliminating one of the operations which was being simultaneously performed, you have effectively made more bandwidth available to read cartography from the microSD memory card.
05-15-19, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-19 03:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the response. So, since I tried two different Navionics cards and the problem persisted, it may be the card reader. I also switched cards from SD1 to SD2, with no change. Is there a way I can test the card reader?
05-15-19, 03:39 PM
PaulM,

The test which you have performed would typically be used to verify the operational state of the MFD's memory card reader ... your MFD's memory card reader appears to not have failed completely, but is operating in a degraded state of performance. Should the aforementioned System Settings & Data Reset not have restored perfomance, then it would accordingly be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.