06-17-19, 09:14 AM
RE: [CA11] Power cable for Quantum
You're welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-19, 09:55 AM
Chuck,

I have a cabling issue and thus a question for you. I have a new Q24C radome and it will be sitting on a stainless arch. The arch has a flat plate that the radome sits on and fastens to, and then the radar cable will come out the back of the radome (the Q24C has a channel) and make a drip loop then enter my arch tubing. But I'm running into a quandary.

My first choice was the Y connector and then the Digital Radar Cable, as you typically recommend, because then there is only one cable entering the [censored] in the arch (since this is 1-1/4" tubing, there can only be a grommet because it's too rounded for a gland). It's much easier to seal one cable (grommet fits cable well).

BUT, the Y connector is so long that the "aft" connector on the Y can't be under the radome in the channel, but instead hangs out the aft side of the radome. And being a connector it is stiffer and bulkier than cable. And then to compound it, the Digital Radar Cable will have its connector in series with the Y connector. That won't bend to make a nice drip loop and then enter my arch.

The other choice is a power cable *and* a Quantum Data Cable. Those won't have connectors dangling out the aft end of the radome, but then I'm stuck putting two cables through one round grommet and trying to seal the "crotch" between them (plus it's going to get tight with two vs. one inside the arch).

I did buy all three items (Y connector, DRC, QDC) so I could check them out. I had to open the Y connector to get an idea of how stiff it is. I was hoping I could loop the Y parts around (kind of like the first loop of a bowline) to take up some cabling and thus get the outgoing connector to land in the channel under the dome vs. sticking out aft but I don't think that's going to work.

Is there any way I can shorten the bottom (outgoing) leg of the "Y"? I'm comfortable soldering tiny wires, but don't want to dig in without checking in here first. I know, for example, that transducer wires can't easily be re-done but not sure about the "Y" connector here. I just need to make it shorter somehow so that the stiff connector part is not the part just aft of the dome where I need to make my drip loop and clean entry into the arch tubing.

Thank you,
PP
06-19-19, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-19 02:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Pete,

Q. Is there any way I can shorten the bottom (outgoing) leg of the "Y"? I'm comfortable soldering tiny wires, but don't want to dig in without checking in here first.
A. While such splices would not typically be an issue for cables which are below decks, more than normal care must be taken to protect the splices from exposure to the marine environment when these splices will be above decks. Care should be taken to ensure that the cable's shield is also spliced back together.
06-19-19, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-19 07:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Chuck. So it sounds like there is nothing that's inherently unspliceable in there. The splice would be under the dome and this is a trailered boat that is stored in a garage. I think I'd also be able to add some FTZ Dual Wall heat shrink around the whole thing as it looks like there is enough room in the port side channel on the underside of the dome.

I will have to think about it but at least I know what the options are.

I wish there were either a one-piece Y with Digital cable on it, OR that the straight Y base leg was shorter so that the connection to the Digital Radar Cable could be made in the dome's channel and not hanging out the back.

PP
06-20-19, 07:40 AM
Pete,

You're welcome. I'll be certain to pass your comments on to the Radar program manager about shortening the Y-Cable.