Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Seatalk Failure
05-17-19, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-19 02:09 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Seatalk Failure
Hi. I appreciate this subject has been covered before but need some further input as to what might be the problem.
I have an ST 6000 basic system. i.e. no other equipment attached via the seatalk network. My computer was mounted in a difficult to get at location at the bottom of a locker so I moved the unit to an easier accessible location. Just disconnected the wires and then reattached them in its new position. I now have my controller showing 'Seatalk Fail' when I power the unit up. I borrowed a friends control head and connected it via a short lead direct to the computer. Same error message so it looks like the computer is at fault. Am getting 12.8 volts at the seatalk connections and 12.8 volts at the input end, so it's not a power issue. Fuse also OK. Any other checks I can carry out before thinking about getting it repaired/replaced ?
Thanks.
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-19, 02:26 AM
RE: Seatalk Failure
Hello Chris,

Is the 12.8V you're seeing between Seatalk Red-screen or Yellow-screen? What do you see between Yellow-screen? In such a small network you should see a fluctuating voltage somewhere around 4-8V (averaging of zero to 12V pulses, too fast for a multimeter to pick up), but I suspect you'll see a static voltage,

If you can borrow another ST1 device you may be able to use that as a diagnosis tool (by seeing whether it communicates, depending on what you can lay your hands on), or you can disconnect the ST cable from the course computer and see whether you then see a good signal voltage (yellow) there, but without an oscilloscope it's very hard to diagnose this sort of problem with only 2 devices. In a larger network you can find the problem product or cable by a process of elimination but with only 2 devices you have nothing to eliminate.

Is it definitely an ST6000 display (black with a red seal) or a later model, and is it an ST6000 Course Computer (black metal housing with connections in a terminal box at one end) or something later like a T100/300 (terminals along one of the long edges)?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-25-19, 11:17 AM
(05-21-19 02:26 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello Chris,

Is the 12.8V you're seeing between Seatalk Red-screen or Yellow-screen? What do you see between Yellow-screen? In such a small network you should see a fluctuating voltage somewhere around 4-8V (averaging of zero to 12V pulses, too fast for a multimeter to pick up), but I suspect you'll see a static voltage,

If you can borrow another ST1 device you may be able to use that as a diagnosis tool (by seeing whether it communicates, depending on what you can lay your hands on), or you can disconnect the ST cable from the course computer and see whether you then see a good signal voltage (yellow) there, but without an oscilloscope it's very hard to diagnose this sort of problem with only 2 devices. In a larger network you can find the problem product or cable by a process of elimination but with only 2 devices you have nothing to eliminate.

Is it definitely an ST6000 display (black with a red seal) or a later model, and is it an ST6000 Course Computer (black metal housing with connections in a terminal box at one end) or something later like a T100/300 (terminals along one of the long edges)?

Regards,
Tom

hi Tom , I have attached a picture of the course computer. I am getting 12 volts between red and shield. Steady 1.6 volts yellow to shield with the head connected. 1.4 volts with head disconnected. Only the compass connected. The manual which came with it has a date of 2004 if that helps.
Chris
05-27-19, 10:51 PM
Hello Chris,

A steady voltage yellow-shield on Seatalk doesn't sound good, but most multimeters, even high-quality ones, are much too slow to show the individual data. You might get somewhere connecting just power to the pilot display and then measuring yellow-shield voltage there as a comparison?

Unless you can borrow another Seatalk device (e.g. a chartplotter) which is capable of talking to either of the other two and listing whether it's communicating or not in its diagnostic page, I don't think you're going to be able to go a lot further with this yourself. I think the options are:
  • borrow a chartplotter, e.g. C/E Classic or C/E-Widescreen, which can diagnose Seatalk traffic
  • replace the pilot complete
  • have a local Raymarine technical service dealer diagnose the issue for you

You can find local service dealers by ticking 'Certified Installation' at http://www.raymarine.com.au/display/?id=911

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.