Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ES128 to/from VHF DSC via NMEA
05-16-16, 12:35 PM
ES128 to/from VHF DSC via NMEA
I would like to verify the connection of a ES128 MFD to a Icom M412 VIA NMEA wiring. It is connected as follows:

Icom MFD

NMEA in - (shield) to Brown output -
NMEA in +(red) to Yellow output +
NMEA out-(shield) to Green input -
NMEA out+(white) to White input +

NMEA port is set to 1 on MFD

I was offshore this weekend when a DSC alert came accross and it did not display on the MFD, However, the VHF was only connected to receive data from the MFD (only yellow and brown were hooked up). I since hooked it up as stated above. Should this cure the problem?
The instructions I found on this forum noted a blue wire, the VHF has a blue wire and is labeled by Icom as a clone wire....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-16, 02:38 PM
RE: ES128 to/from VHF DSC via NMEA
Bill,

Should the MFD have been only interfaced to the VHF radio using the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT leads (yellow and brown), then there would have been no way for the MFD to have received any DSC position report communications from the VHF radio. By additionally interfacing the MFD's NMEA 0183 IN leads (white and green) as you have specified, then the MFD should indeed be able to receive and respond to NMEA 0183 DSC/DSE sentences transmitted by the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 output leads.
05-17-16, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-16 03:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK- that is what I thought. just wanted to make sure it was connected properly...
Is there a way to test it or do I just have to wait until another DSC alert comes across the radio?
05-17-16, 03:56 PM
Bill,

The only way to stimulate/test the interface/feature would be to afterwards receive a DSC position report.
05-17-16, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-16 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you- how do you receive a DSC position report?
05-18-16, 08:59 AM
Bill,

Outside of a distress call, DSC position reports must be polled for. Your VHF radio will be directed to send a position polling request to another vessel/station whose MMSI is known to you. The receiving vessel/station's VHF radio will then alert and provide the operator with an option to accept or reject the DSC position polling request. If accepted, the polled vessel/station's VHF radio will then transmit the its coordinates to the polling vessel/station's VHF radio. It is recommended that your review the corresponding portion of your third party VHF radio owner's manual for detailed instructions.
05-18-16, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-16 10:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you again.....
05-18-16, 10:13 AM
You're welcome.