Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] AIS 650 stops displaying targets
07-10-19, 12:22 AM
RE: [TG11] AIS 650 stops displaying targets
Hello Kr7,

We have had a few reports of AIS700s which have seemed to stop outputting AIS data intermittently, but restart after a USB cable is connected. Can you tell me the serial number of your AIS and also your MFD's software version, so that I can add that into our engineering investigation? You can find both of these things in Home > Settings Getting Started (for the MFD software) and Network > Diagnostics > Product Info for the AIS serial number.

Thanks,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-19, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-19 05:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
AIS700 - software 01.06.01, S/N E704760880074
Axiom7 - MFD software v3.9.46

Firmware on both (Ais and Axiom) updated twice, to bee sure that it's updated correctly.

Here you have video to see how it look's like:
https://youtu.be/1Y8skFwS-KY

Sorry for subtitles ;) I hope they are clear
07-15-19, 01:53 AM
Thank you, that information and video are great. I have passed these on to our engineers, and will let you know when I have some update on this from their investigation.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
07-17-19, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-19 05:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Tom,

I am experiencing the same with a new AIS 700, installed last April. I have used it two times in May and it was receiving AIS data and sending our own data.

Than, during our holiday a few weeks ago I wanted to use it during a crossing no AIS data was sent or received. The status LED was fine (green). I updated to the most recent firmware versions but this did not help. When looking at NMEA 0183 data, available through a ShipModul multiplexer, no AIS sentences showed up.

To diagnose the problem I connected my laptop to the USB port and at that moment instantly AIS signals were received again. Further investigating this showed that when just providing the USB port power through a powerbank makes it working fine, AIS data is received and sent. I have had this enabled a whole day. As soon as the USB power is disconnected the AIS data stops, reconnecting the USB power enabled it again. I checked the 'normal' power and that is over 13V.

So it seems I am experiencing the same problem as you described but initially the AIS700 worked without the 'auxiliary' USB power.

Can you pass this on to the engineers which investigate this issue, that just providing additional USB power makes the AIS700 operational?

Thanks, Regards,
Kees.
07-18-19, 12:22 PM
Please do it asap.

As you see - there was no information about ship that was running fast !

AIS should be 100% sure :-(
07-22-19, 11:21 PM
Hello Kosham and Kr7,

I have passed both of your comments back to Engineering in order to help in the investigation of the cause. We'll solve this as soon as we can, apologies for the problems.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

07-25-19, 07:26 AM
So meaby 12V USB phone charger connected to AIS will resolve problem ?
07-30-19, 02:38 AM
Hello Kr7,

Yes, that may well work as an interim workaround, though of course we need to get the problem properly solved.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

07-31-19, 01:51 PM
Hi Tom,

I talked to the local Raymarine dealer and he offered to exchange the AIS700 unit under warranty as it is new and not working properly. I do not know what is wise as this seems to be a more common problem. And as long as the engineers have not found what is causing it it may come out that it can be repaired by a firmware update or each unit needs a callback action, in which situation getting a new one does not help. On the other hand, if the engineers do not yet have a unit that shows this behavior it might help to swap it and somehow get it to the engineers.

What is your advise/opinion in this?

Thanks,
Regards,
Kees.
08-04-19, 06:53 PM
Hello Kees,

Yes, in this instance I think you're right, it would be get that AIS back to Engineering for investigation. Thanks.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.