Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Another Drivestop Question
05-27-19, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 09:58 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Another Drivestop Question
Hello,

I have a 1986 sailboat with a:

--ST6000+ control head
--Type 100 Course computer
--Mechanical Linear Drive

The system has been very reliable since I got the boat 16 years ago, other than the need to replace the fluxgate compass a few years ago.

In Spring Commissioning this year I noticed that the system does not function properly:

When engaging the pilot, the pilot "grabs" the rudder/wheel and holds it in place but does not respond to course change input. Nor does the pilot steer the boat--it just holds the rudder in place.

After 1 or 2 min of sailing or motoring with Auto engaged, I get a DRIVESTOP message, but the pilot still holds the rudder. The control head has power and I double checked the seatalk cable between the control head and the course computer was well plugged into the back of the control head as well and the rudder sensor cable connection.

The rudder sensor appears to be fine, since I am getting accurate rudder angle indication on the control head while steering manually.

When I press STANDBY the pilot releases the rudder normally.

I know it's a really old system but would love to get a few more years out of it. Can you provide troubleshooting/repair suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-19, 09:59 AM
RE: [DG11] Another Drivestop Question
Hi Bill,
As per my previous response, it should likely the brushes in the drive motor are worn or sticking in their brush holders, replace the motor and you should be ok.
Thanks
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply