Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] C120 Classic screen anomaly
05-30-19, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-19 12:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] C120 Classic screen anomaly
Our unit, which you worked on for failed buttons, after almost a year of under-cover (full bimini), faceplate cover on, when activated recently, has screen anomalies which, after a day of use, did not go away.

There is a pattern which, if I could possibly describe it, would be similar to a frost pattern on a single-pane window in a humid house in your neighborhood in the winter. It could also be a top view of a mountain with stream patterns going down it. It's not continuous, but instead several instances of that problem.

Is this a past-known issue? I'm away from the boat currently and won't be back for a couple of weeks or I'd send you a picture. It's annoying but not disabling (that is, the display isn't so compromised as to be unusable - at least as yet), but if it's a relatively simple fix (even if that meant a new screen, if it was more affordable than
purchasing another, now that they are relatively common on the used market), we'd likely want to do that before setting out cruising ... particularly if that cruising was offshore from Ft. Pierce to north of Portland ME, which is the alternative to going back to the Bahamas this summer.

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-19, 12:19 PM
RE: [CA11] C120 Classic screen anomaly
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Skip,

Based upon your description, nothing immediately comes to mind. I would recommend attaching photos which clearly show the symptom describe to this thread.
06-03-19, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 05:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
One more time. First reply didn't even populate the text let alone the picture.

http://forum.raymarine.com/attachment.php?aid=3107

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-04-19, 07:32 AM
Skip,

The feature described and shown within the photo is that of failed LCD. While a relatively uncommon issue for the C/E-Series Classic MFDs, Raymarine's Product Repair Center had repaired failed LCDs having the feature described. The most common cause for LCD failure is excessive heat. As you are aware Raymarine can no longer service these MFDs. While Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service these MFDs, Seawire Marine ((305) 489-1600) may be able to assist you with repairs to this legacy MFD. If not, then it would be necessary to seek a replacement from the second hand market.
06-04-19, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-19 07:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Chuck,

The screen has not fully failed, just has that pattern a lot; I moved the cursor to open ocean in order to more clearly show it.

Is this likely to persist (vs fail) in this state for some time? It's a nuisance but not impossible to use while I explore solutions.

Thanks for the referral.

L8R

Skip
06-04-19, 07:51 AM
Skip,

Q. Is this likely to persist (vs fail) in this state for some time?
A. The feature shown will not go away, but is most definitely indicating that the LCD is in the initial stages of failure. Unfortunately, it would not be possible to indicate how much longer the LCD will operate until total failure occurs. The prudent action would be to repair or replace the MFD if it is a critical part of your navigation system.
06-04-19, 09:16 AM
Q1. I think I recall something about the most current SW removing the radar overlay functionality?
A1. The final C-Series Classic MFD software update (v5.16) required that the system be interfaced to a source of heading data (ex. autopilot, instrument compass, etc.) be interfaced to the MFD to support the radar overlay feature. Should this not be the case for your system, should the features and corrections of the final software update not be required, and should radar overlay be required then it would be recommended that the MFD be operate with C-Series Classic MFD v4.31 software. If having the MFD serviced, have the agent performing the service install whichever software update you desire for your system.
06-04-19, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-19 12:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Roger that. We have both GPS and our Type 300 autopilot computer connected to the MFD. I think from the context that we'd maintain our ability to overlay?
06-04-19, 12:59 PM
Skip,

Q. I think from the context that we'd maintain our ability to overlay?
A. Correct.