Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonfly 7 reset lighthouse chart behavior
05-17-16, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-16 02:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dragonfly 7 reset lighthouse chart behavior
Hi, this may be a bug or something went wacky with my unit.

I just want to post this here in case anyone else gets this oddity with a dragonfly firmware upgrade.

My DF7 has been working fine. I upgraded the firmware..no problems, my lighthouse charts (downloaded to cf card still worked fine). Next day out i turned on the unit and it did some kinda of reset somehow, almost seemed like it had just 1st been started up as i had to set some preferences. Went though that and my charts were gone.

Disconnected the unit reconnected, removed cf, reinserted cf still no charts. I immediately thought microSD reader went bad, got water? did card go bad or get corrupted?

I brought the cf to my Mac to see if it could read it, all looked ok. I decided to test the microSD reader. Saved screenshot fine. I next inserted a blank microSD card into the unit to see if it would write lighthouse_id.txt , and the instructions are a bit wrong for the dragonfly. On the charts page, it says to insert a blank microSD and it will write lighthouse_id.txt..that did not happen.

Searching the forums i found lighthouse_id.txt will only get written if you turn on the DF and go the lighthouse chart screen and select the lighthouse chart base map option. I did that with my blank card. Removed card brought inside..._id.txt was there. Ok so at this point i know i’m writing to the microSD fine now.

I put the previous card in...and now it recognized the card fine, like nothing happened. I had probably inserted , turned off/on 10+ times by that point before i performed the above blank microSD lighthouse_id.txt procedure.

Could be odd. Or it could be some bug where the unit reset somehow and wouldn’t recognize an existing card *until* it had written a lighthouse_id.txt *somewhere*.

At first i was wondering if the id changed somehow on the unit but that looked fine checking the file on the original card with the newly written one.

Again could be coincidence, or an odd occurrence of events. But the DF7 with latest firmware after some odd reset would not read my microSD card until i put a new one in and wrote lighthouse_id.txt no matter how many times or steps i inserted/removed the original. Once i did that...1st time, boom it recognized my original card.

Maybe this will help someone or could be my unit, i’ll watch it and see if anything odd occurs, but since then all is working great. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-16, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-16 02:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Dragonfly 7 reset lighthouse chart behavior
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Swade,

Thanks of posting your Dragonfly experience associated with its recent software update. We have not received any similar reports, but appreciate your sharing of your experience and how it was corrected. Should the lighthouse_id.txt file become corrupted or deleted, then the cartography stored within the microSD memory card's memory may not be viewed by the display. Populating the microSD memory card with a valid lighthouse_id.txt would restore use of the LightHouse charts as you have indicated.
05-17-16, 02:43 PM
Hi Chuck thanks for the reply

i just want to clarify for other users, at no time was a lighthouse_id.txt generated on the original card *that i know of*. However once the unit wrote lighthouse_id.txt on the blank test card it subsequently recognized the original card.

I was going to test a factory reset and see if upon factory reset they could recognize a pre-existing card but i didn’t get time.

Thanks for the reply, it may very well be a coincidence and i’ve had no other troubles with the unit since then, great unit no complaints. Just wanted to put that out here *just in case*
05-17-16, 04:04 PM
You're welcome.