Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EVO 2 Compass Heading Issue
05-17-16, 02:59 PM
EVO 2 Compass Heading Issue
I have installed in the last 2 months (2)C125, evolution 200, cp370 and radar. I have been having issue with the evolution 200, in the mornings it appears to work ok, but as the day goes on the compass heading between the MFD and the control head start to widen. They may start off with a 5 degree variation and by the end of the day Sunday was off by 20 -30 degrees. Once you engage to waypoint the boat symbol on the MFD will travel but will be lopsided since the MFD thinks it is heading a different direction. This has happened several times, you have to do a factory reset on the control head to get them back in line. The first couple times I used it the compass offset or variation was only 4 degrees so I locked the compass, but on the next trip the unit wanted to turn the boat in circles when trying to head to a waypoint, so I did another reset to fix that but now I have this issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-16, 08:00 AM
RE: EVO 2 Compass Heading Issue
This sounds like something is interfering with the EV-1 sensor, around the location. First, what is the deviation in the system? You can check this by pressing Menu, Set Up, Diagnostics, About Display, then scroll down to the bottom of the page where the Deviation is reported.

I would also make sure you are at the most recent software levels on all Evolution components, p70/R, EV-1 and ACU-200.
05-19-16, 12:36 PM
The current version is 2.17, all products are registered and I get email updates as to when to update. The current deviation is 4 degrees, since the last factory reset, which was a run of about 40 miles.
05-20-16, 09:02 AM
Is the deviation increasing through out the day when the heading difference is widening with the compass?
05-20-16, 10:56 AM
I have never checked the deviation within the unit while it is happening but will next time. But yes, as the day goes on the heading deviation increases from the MFD's and the normal compass.
05-20-16, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-16 11:46 AM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
If that deviation changes drastically, that means something around the location of the EV-2 is turning on or energizing to create interference and causing the deviation to change. I would recommend surveying the location of the EV-2 and relocating from the area away from anything that could be causing the interference.
05-20-16, 12:41 PM
(05-20-16 11:45 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  If that deviation changes drastically, that means something around the location of the EV-2 is turning on or energizing to create interference and causing the deviation to change. I would recommend surveying the location of the EV-2 and relocating from the area away from anything that could be causing the interference.

The CP 370 and the ACU for autopilot are mounted several inches above it?
05-20-16, 01:26 PM
Do those get powered on with your electronics? They could be causing, can you move the EV-2 farther away, the suggested distance is 3 feet, but that is perfect world, try to get as close as possible.