Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New Raymarine system & questions . . .
07-23-19, 10:49 AM
RE: [CA11] New Raymarine system & questions . . .
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Martin,

Q1. Does it also need to be connected via the middle spur connection?
A1. Negative. The iTC-5 is designed to be installed as a backbone component, not to a spur within the backbone. The spur socket of the iTC-5 is simply provided to supply a convenient spur socket through which the backbone may be powered or a device may be interfaced to the backbone. If not used, then a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug (black) should be installed within the spur socket.

Q2. To clarify, does the middle spur connection also need to be used to connect the ITC-5 to the backbone when the ITC-5 is already supplying data to the backbone via the left and right backbone connections?
A. Negative.

Q3. Does the i70s (master) need to be positioned next in the sequence after the ITC-5, and before the i50 depth/wind and the i60 wind? Or does it not matter where the i70s is placed in the connection sequence? Is there a preferred sequence for connection of related instruments?
A3. Within a backbone, the devices may be interfaced in any order to any available spur socket.

Q4. Same sequence question for the autopilot components (ACU-100, EV unit, p70s), do they need to be connected in sequence or can their individual connections be located anywhere in the backbone?
A4. See my response to Q3.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-19, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-19 08:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

IOk, system is installed and sort of working but with problems.

First, I did a comprehensive software update of all devices via micro SD card after all was connected and powered on. That was after the ITC-5 LED for Seatalkng was showing a slow continuous pulse at power on, which the owners manual interprets as “software download”. So I just did all devices to be sure which were all contained on the latest Axiom download on the Ray website. So everything is updated and the screen said each update was “successful” so I think we can eliminate software as the source of the problem.

ITC-5 is now showing all green steady LEDS. Except for rudder angle and compass which Are not installed. Those two LEDs blink. Not going to install either so is it normal for them to continue to blink or is there a way to shut them off?

The i70s recognizes the ITC-5 and the depth, speed and wind transducers. However only depth is showing on the i70s. Same for the Axiom7. Everything else on the Axiom 7 seems fine and it is sending GPS data to the Simrad VHF for DSC. Also AIS data from the VHF is showing on the i70s and Axiom. So data is moving on the network from start to end, as the VHF is the first item on the backbone and the Axiom is the last. Everything seems to be working with the p70 control head but I haven’t taken the boat out to do a real test of the AP yet. LEN balance is 11/15, total 25, which is as close as I could get to 50/50 given location issues.

The problem is the analog i50 depth, i50 speed, and i60 wind instruments. They are powered on but display no data at all. Each is connected to the backbone via individual spurs (not daisy chained) per your prior recommendation. The ITC-5 is showing steady green LEDs for depth, speed & wind so the problem seems to be upstream from the ITC-5.

-----

update to last post.

Just did a power on/off cycle. The i50 depth is now showing depth and LED on ITC-5 is steady. The i60 wind is showing wind direction and, for a minute or two, also showed wind speed. Then it stopped wind speed but is still showing direction. However, the ITC5 wind LED is now blinking rapid pulse. Previously it was steady but with no data on the i60. Also, the ITC-5 speed LED, previously steady, is blinking rapid pulse. Boat is in its slip so haven’t checked speed underway yet.

I should have mentioned in earlier post that before doing anything I double checked all of the Seatalkng connections, as well as all of the power connections. I just checked them again and they all seem fine, all inserted to proper depth with two “clicks” on the locking collar.

I’m out of ideas and the intermittent functioning of the analogue instruments is puzzling. As is the erratic blinking lights on the ITC5.

-----

Second update.

I switched the backbone connections on the ITC5 so that the direction or flow of data through the ITC5 changed - the old data “in” is now data “out” and vice versa.

Surprise, that gave me wind angle and speed on the i60 and everywhere else. Wind LED on ITC 5 is now steady. Depth LED on ITC5 also remains steady and depth data is showing everywhere on network. Progress.

However, speed/temp LED on ITC5 is still short pulse blinking. No temp data anywhere. And boat is on slip so no speed data.

Not sure if this additional info is helpful to you in diagnosing problem or not but figured I’d pass it along in case it is.

-----

Final update this evening.

Powered everything off for a couple hours. Turned everything back on and I have depth + wind direction and speed but only on the Axiom and i70s. The 3 analog instruments have power but aren’t displaying any information at all. Nada.

Suggestions?

Martin
07-25-19, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-19 11:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Martin,

Q1. Except for rudder angle and compass which Are not installed. Those two LEDs blink. Not going to install either so is it normal for them to continue to blink or is there a way to shut them off?
A1. This is normal, and there is no way to change this behavior.

Q2. LEN balance is 11/15, total 25, which is as close as I could get to 50/50 given location issues.
A2. Excellent

Q3. The problem is the analog i50 depth, i50 speed, and i60 wind instruments. They are powered on but display no data at all. Each is connected to the backbone via individual spurs (not daisy chained) per your prior recommendation.
A3. It appears that the system has intermittent communications within the backbone. At the time that this symptom is observed, the diagnostics of the MFD (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->PRODUCT INFO) and/or i70S and/or p70S (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM) may be used to list the devices detected within the backbone. Should the i50 and i60 instruments not be listed, then it would indeed suggest a problem with the backbone communications between the iTC-5 and these instruments ... possibly a problem with the iTC-5 or one of the backbone networking components between it and the instruments. Also, have you configured these instruments to be data Repeaters rather than Data Masters ... see page the individual installation and operation guides for these instruments ... search for the key word "Master".

Q4. Each is connected to the backbone via individual spurs (not daisy chained) per your prior recommendation.
A4. Excellent

Q5. I’m out of ideas and the intermittent functioning of the analogue instruments is puzzling. As is the erratic blinking lights on the ITC5.
A5. It is recommended that the wind transducer be tested. Should the wind transducer test results be consistent with those specified within the referenced FAQ, and should the i60 Wind instrument be configured as a data Repeater, and should a SeaTalkng Termination Plug have been installed within the backbone sockets of the backbone's two end nodes, then it would be recommended the backbone cables be inspected for signs of damage. or modification. Each backbone cable's plug should be unseated, re-seated, and then the socket locking ring should be rotated into the locked position. Should the above items have been satisfied and should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that you attach an updated diagram of the system to your next post. Should no fault be found within the submitted diagram, then it would be recommended that the iTC-5 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

Q6. However, speed/temp LED on ITC5 is still short pulse blinking. No temp data anywhere. And boat is on slip so no speed data.
A6. This is normal for a sensor whose paddlewheel is not turning. Rotation of the transducer's paddlewheel will cause it to be solidly illuminated and permit calibration of the sensor.

Q7. The 3 analog instruments have power but aren’t displaying any information at all.
A7. Please see my earlier responses. Should these items have been addressed, then my earlier recommendation concerning testing/servicing the iTC-5 should be undertaken.
07-26-19, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-19 11:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

1. The i50 depth, i50 speed/temp, and i60 are all set as repeaters. I did that on the day of the initial install. And although you didn’t mention it, I am making sure that the boat batteries are fully charged. I’ve been running the battery charger periodically as I would expect low voltage could cause problems. But I wanted you to know that is not an issue. Plus when testing/using the Ray system I keep shore power turned off as it would be when sailing and to eliminate potential interference as an issue.

2. The wind transducer does not appear to be the problem. Today I am getting wind speed and direction consistently on the Axiom 7 and i70s and the data appears accurate. If the wind transducer was defective I would not be getting any data at either instrument, correct? The problem, I think, is elsewhere.

3. Today I had wind speed and direction, plus depth, data on the i70s and Axiom 7. But Initially no data on the i60 or i50 speed/temp instruments. There was data on the i50 depth, but not initially. Then it kicked in after a while.

4. Per your recommendation, I reconnected every connection on the backbone and spurs. Third time this has been done. Including all transducer connections on the ITC5. Also checked to make sure no stray wires, not even a strand, touching anything else on the ITC5. Re the blue backbone terminators, two are installed correctly, one at each end of the backbone. And I checked all backbone cables, no visible signs of damage, plenty of length for strain relief. The Beneteau is set up with internal conduits and routing for cables as built so I was able to follow existing cable routes and didn’t have to force fit the backbone cables through any tight openings or tug on them.

After doing all of this there was no change, same problems.

5. Troubleshooting, I thought to check software. I inserted the microSd card and ran the update. The only item the Axiom automatically selected was the ITC5. Remember that yesterday I had already updated everything including the ITC5. The reason I decided to check software again was that the ITC5 LEDs for wind and speed were blinking now, previously they were steady after the software update yesterday. After updating the ITC5 again, a system restart, I had analog data again on i60 wind, i50 speed, i50 depth. LEDs are now steady. Turned everything off, went to lunch thinking problems solved. Then, turned back on again in about an hour and there was only data on Axiom, i70s and i50 depth. No data on i60 wind or i50 speed/temp. But LEDs were steady on the ITC5 for all 3 analog instruments.

Would it make sense to try daisy-chaining the i60 and the 2 i50s to see if that produces a different result? I followed your earlier recommendation so that each now is on its own spur.

6. It seems to me that the ITC5 is erratic. I refresh the software for it and then things work for a while. I turn the system off, and then the problems reappear when I turn it back on. It’s as if the ITC5 prom memory disappears or is corrupted when powered off. That is the second time that has happened.

I need to move the boat in the next few days about 30 miles to it’s permanent slip so can’t deal with removing the ITC5 and sending it away for a couple of weeks to be “tested”. I will probably end up buying a new ITC5 locally instead to see if that solves the problem.

Martin
07-26-19, 11:35 AM
Martin,

Please see my earlier recommendation regarding how to test communications within the backbone via the MFD, i70S, or p70S when the problem is observed as it may indicate where a faulty networking component (backbone cable, termination plug, T-Piece, 5-Way Connector, iTC-5, etc. may exist. Termination plugs may be tested to ensure 120 Ohms of resistance across the CAN_H and CAN_L pins to the Termination Plug. Should communications between the MFD, i70S, or p70S be maintained when the symptom occurs, then it would point to a problem with the iTC-5 as has been suggested. Should it have been purchased within the last 30 days, it would be recommended that a replacement be sought from your dealer.

Unfortunately, the experience which you had expected is in fact that which the overwhelming majority of customers experience when each component has been installed as an individual component to the backbone as you have reported is presently the case within your system.