Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] building updated system for axiom 12 leaving the existing seatalk instrument
06-06-19, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-19 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] building updated system for axiom 12 leaving the existing seatalk instrument
Hello
I have a hunter 460 sailboat and i have an e120 mfd st60 instruments and a st4000 autopilot . I would like to put in an axiom 12, quantum dopler radar, ais 700, camera 210, ar200, and sirrius200 ,leaving the existing instruments and autopilot .I have attached my schematic .Please have a look. Will this work? Also I am unsure of the power setup. Many components have their own power but are networked.
Thank you

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-19, 11:08 AM
RE: [CA11] building updated system for axiom 12 leaving the existing seatalk instrument
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum robo,

Please note that unlike the ST4000+/ST5000+, the ST4000/ST5000 autopilots are not supported (have not been tested) for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter. It is typically recommended that autopilot designed which preceded the ST4000+/ST5000+ be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications to the current generation of equipment. To do so, the autopilot would be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. Next, the spur cable an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device would typically be interfaced as spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The NMEA 0183 output leads of the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG would then be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input terminals of the autopilot course computer to support providing the autopilot with instrument and navigational data.

Please note that Lifetag is not compatible neither compatible with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, nor with MFDs running LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software.

The ST60 instruments will be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
06-06-19, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 01:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] building updated system for axiom 12 leaving the existing seatalk instrument
hello
first of all I have been reading your posts/responses for a few days now as I plan my system. I hope you are being well paid as your knowledge and attitude is first rate. Anyway, this build while awesome is stressing me out. How about I simply add the quantum hd color radar to my system. Would it work with the e120? I would still need the hs5 hub as I have it networked to my laptop with the raymarine software. Also I would add the sirrius 200 to it.Maybe even the ais 700 as well.
Thoughts?
06-06-19, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 01:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] building updated system for axiom 12 leaving the existing seatalk instrument
robo,

Q1. How about I simply add the quantum hd color radar to my system. Would it work with the e120?
A1. Unfortunately, the E-Series Classic MFDs (E80/E120), introduced 15 years ago, are not compatible with Quantum and Quantum 2 radomes. Installation of a Quantum or Quantum 2 radome would require that the E-Series Classic MFD be replaced. Of Raymarine's currently manufactured radomes, only the HD Color Radomes are compatible with E-Series Classic MFDs ... they are also compatible with Axiom MFDs should you desire to update the system incrementally.

Q2. I would still need the hs5 hub as I have it networked to my laptop with the raymarine software.
Q2. RayTech software likewise would not be compatible with either the Quantum/Quantum II radomes and should not be interfaced to an Ethernet network which features any MFDs other than the long retired E-Series Classic and C-Series Widescreen MFDs. While it would be possible to interface a PC running RayTech software to the SeaTalk bus via the long retired E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 interface module (other other means simulating a virtual COM port) to monitor instrument, GPS, and navigational data, no cartography, radar, fishfinder, or satellite weather data will be shared with computer. With Axiom MFDs, the MFD may be remotely viewed / controlled from Andriod or iPad tablets running Raymarine's RayControl Mobile app.

Q3. Also I would add the sirrius 200 to it.
A3. I had seen those items within your diagram and they were shown to be correctly interfaced to the system if it were to feature an Axiom MFD. However, the SR200 is also not compatible with E-Series Classic MFDs.

Q4. Maybe even the ais 700 as well.
A4. Should the E-Series Classic MFD not be replaced, then an AIS700 may be installed. However, it would need to be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface rather than the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone as is shown within your diagram.
06-07-19, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-19 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
hi
what if i was to simply add a HD Color Radome to the e120 classic. where and how would it plug in and be powered?

if i do get the axiom 12 and keep the old autopilot .would the " Actisense NMEA0183 to Sea Talk NG Gateway "be the correct interface? to get this straight... the actisence would go from the A06064 hub to the control unit? then the autopilot control head would hook into the computer as well? which inputs of the unit would i use?
thanks
06-07-19, 08:11 AM
Robo,

Q1. what if i was to simply add a HD Color Radome to the e120 classic. where and how would it plug in and be powered?
A1. Like all currently manufactured radomes and open array pedestals, they are designed to be powered from a dedicated switched 12VDC or 24VDC power circuit which will be connected to the power leads of the Quantum or Digital Radar Cable which will be installed.

Q2a. if i do get the axiom 12 and keep the old autopilot .would the " Actisense NMEA0183 to Sea Talk NG Gateway "be the correct interface?
A2a. Yes. More specifically, the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG.

Q2b. the actisence would go from the A06064 hub to the control unit?
A2b. You may either connect the NMEA 0183 output leads of the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG to the NMEA 0183 input terminals of the autopilot control head or those of the ST4000.

Q2c. then the autopilot control head would hook into the computer as well?
A2c. Yes ... via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable

Q2d. which inputs of the unit would i use?
A2d. See the response to Q2b.
06-11-19, 10:11 AM
hello
i stated earlier that i had an ST4000 auto pilot but in fact i have an st6000+ control and an a100/300 computer. Does this change my compatibility/setup when swapping in a new axiom 12?
thanks, rob
06-11-19, 10:20 AM
Robo,

The Type 100/300 autopilot course computers are likewise not supported (have not been tested) for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter. The solution for interfacing the Type 100/300 autopilot course computers to an Axiom 12 MFD would be the same as those which had been previously specified for the ST4000 autopilot within this thread. More specifically, You may either connect the NMEA 0183 output leads of the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG to the NMEA 0183 input terminals of the autopilot control head or those of the Type 100/300 autopilot course computer.
05-14-20, 10:38 PM
hello
i got all my new stuff
a few questions
everything is new except the auto pilot and wind instruments (seatalk)
i have an st6000+ control and an a100/300 computer
you recomended using the nmea 183 not seatalk for the autopilot to connect to the ng network and recomended the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG can i use the nmea 0183 to seatalkng converter hub?(one yellow two whites two blues)
Also when these 3 types of networks are connected Where should they get their power? the ng hub will be hooked up to an axiom 12. does it get power there?
I think it gets power from the autopilot as well. The hubs can also be powered, i dont want to add multiple power.
My AIS700 will also be hooked to the ng . does it get power there or does it need it's own power supply?
the axiom has its own built in antenna and i have the AR200 hooked into the network. Do i still need a gps antenna?
If so mine is 20 years old, should i get a new one?
ok lastly... I have the cam210 hooked up to the powered HS5 switch. Does the camera need additional power? It has a power wire bbut i don't think I need it .
As you can see I spent alot of money :( still not back to work
thanks in advance
05-15-20, 02:06 PM
Hello robo,

Q1-you recomended using the nmea 183 not seatalk for the autopilot to connect to the ng network and recomended the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG can i use the nmea 0183 to seatalkng converter hub?(one yellow two whites two blues)
A1-No, the NMEA to Seatalk converter hub is only one way(tx), it would transmit gps data to the pilot(which it does not use), it is not opto isolated which the NGW-1-ISO is, and it was not designed for that purpose.

Q2-Also when these 3 types of networks are connected Where should they get their power? the ng hub will be hooked up to an axiom 12. does it get power there?
A2-Please refer to the schematic in the first post. The seatalk gets its own power. The STNG also gets its own power and the HS5 gets its own power.

Q3-My AIS700 will also be hooked to the ng . does it get power there or does it need it's own power supply?
A3-The AIS700 needs to be powered separate. It actually uses its STNG port for comms only.

Q4-If so mine is 20 years old, should i get a new one? Your AR200 is a GPS unit along with its other features. The Axiom internal would be the secondary GPS.
A4-You would not need the 20 year old unit any more.

Q5-Does the camera need additional power?
A5- yes, the camera needs to be powered from its own power connections or a Power over ethernet box. Given the extra cost of a POE I would recommend connecting power to the connections on the Cam 210.

Best regards,

Chris,