Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11]Windspeed values incorrect, too low, after some time, especially with more wind
07-04-19, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-19 10:23 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11]Windspeed values incorrect, too low, after some time, especially with more wind
We solved the problem late last week by purchasing a new ITC-5 to replace the wind pod and we now have normal windspeed on our displays. However I'm not sure the wind pod replacement actually explains our success. During the replacement process I realized that the mast head wire connection - especially for the ground - was not as tight as one would like. I used a pliers to squeeze together the spade connector resulting in a tighter connector. I think this makes sense because each year when the mast is taken down the yard has to disconnect the system from the wind pad (now the ITC-5) and I suspect after 5 or 6 years the spade connectors had become slightly distorted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-19, 10:24 AM
RE: [DG11]Windspeed values incorrect, too low, after some time, especially with more wind
Hi sogin,

Good call on the connections, that would make a big difference, high resistance connections are always an issue when afloat.
Best regards
Derek
07-07-19, 03:10 PM
Hi Derek,

To prevent misunderstandings for readers of this post, the masttop unit was brand new but for some reason faulty, which can happen (it might have happened after manufacturing, during transport or some other reason). On our previous boat the same type of masttop wind unit worked fine for over 10 years so we were and are happy users, no bad press from our side, we just had bad luck with this unit and now it is replaced we fully enjoy the new unit.

Thanks again for your help,
Kees.
07-08-19, 10:02 AM
You are welcome.