Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] No Data Source...
06-10-19, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-19 03:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] No Data Source...
I'm afraid I know the answer to this one, having read the other threads, but please permit me to describe my symptoms which may be unique. I have the C140W MFD with the RD424HD 4KW-24inch radome. E921431290032. Unit has worked just fine until recently, when the NoDataSource message appeared. I tried the reboot, as described in Chuck's previous thread, as well as checking all connections for corrosion. Sprayed with electronics cleaner (solvent), let dry and reassembled. I do have the SeaTalk HS box, and checked those connections as well. Where the ethernet connectors plug in (two ea) to the seatalk/HS box, there are some green LED indicators. One of them blinks rapidly, the other glows steady. Checked voltage at the radome/scanner connector, and have 13.2Volts. I am plugged into shore power. When the radome/scanner connector is plugged in and secured (power applied), I get no noise from the radome/scanner assembly. Took the top off the radome to observe the scanner, and with power on, nothing happens. No noise, no attempt to turn. Nothing. Took the antenna drive belt off and the motor does not even attempt to turn. That's the basic situation. I am on an extended cruise and shipping off the radome/scanner assy is going to be a major problem for me, though I know it may be the only answer.
Thanks for reading this, and any advice you can offer is much appreciated!
David Tye
SV Blue Moon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-19, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-19 03:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] No Data Source...
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The most common causes for such problem reports are insufficient power, the radar transducer has entered sleep mode, or the radar transducer has suffered circuitry failure. Should you have addressed each of the items specified within the referenced FAQ and should the problem persist, then it would unfortunately appear that the radome has suffered a failure of its circuitry, necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-14-19, 09:42 AM
Thanks very much Chuck. That is what I was afraid of. I neglected to mention that I did try the reboot (many times) with no effect. Pretty sure the power to the scanner/radome connector is solid...13.2 Volts with shore power applied. Some connundrum on my part regarding whether or not to fix this scanner. I may need to replace my C140 MFD at some point in the future, as it is a bit slow to update (zoom in/out) and I don't want to spend bucks on something that would be incompatible with a newer scanner. I believe my current scanner is compatible with the new Axiom MFD, as it is the digital 424HD. At least that is the what the booklet that came with the scanner reflects (this scanner was installed on the vessel when I acquired it 4 years ago). However, it does have the white power cord, which I believe you mentioned in one of your threads is indicative that the unit is analog (incompatible with the Axiom MFD if I understand correctly). I know the connector at the scanner has six pins. Two large, for power/ground, and four smaller. So I'm hopeful my scanner is compatible with the newer Axiom MFD. I value the 48NM range of the 424HD and don't want to settle for the 24NM range of the 'closed' array units that are apparently more typically used with the Axiom MFDs on sailboats (my vessel is a sailboat). Any thoughts very much appreciated. I understand this question might be more appropriately addressed to the sales department, but I value your judgement...

David
06-17-19, 10:33 AM
David,

Q1. I believe my current scanner is compatible with the new Axiom MFD, as it is the digital 424HD.
A1. Correct.

Q2. However, it does have the white power cord, which I believe you mentioned in one of your threads is indicative that the unit is analog (incompatible with the Axiom MFD if I understand correctly). I know the connector at the scanner has six pins. Two large, for power/ground, and four smaller. So I'm hopeful my scanner is compatible with the newer Axiom MFD. I value the 48NM range of the 424HD and don't want to settle for the 24NM range of the 'closed' array units that are apparently more typically used with the Axiom MFDs on sailboats (my vessel is a sailboat). Any thoughts very much appreciated.
A2. The Analog Radar Cables and Digital Radar Cables are both white. They may most easily be distinguished by the threaded coupler on the end of the Digital Radar Cable which mates to a socket on the exterior of the radome or open array pedestal. In contrast, the Analog Radar Cables are designed to pass through a gland seal and mate to power and communications/video terminals inside of the radome or open array pedestal. Finally, the C-Series Widescreen MFDs were not compatible with radomes and open array pedestals utilizing Analog Radar Cables. The C-Series Widescreen MFDs were exclusively compatible the following radomes: RD218D, RD424D, RD418HD and RD424HD; all of which are compatible with Axiom MFDs.
06-18-19, 07:35 AM
That's what I needed, Chuck. THANK YOU!!
06-18-19, 08:08 AM
You're welcome.