Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] ACU-150 & EV-1 Location & Questions
06-11-19, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-19 02:10 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ACU-150 & EV-1 Location & Questions
Hello,

Couple of questions/concerns about the location of the ev-1 and the ACU-150.

I was planning on mounting both on my firewall in the open space (see pic) However seeing the warning below I am considering elsewhere.

Warning: Potential ignition source This product is NOT approved for use in hazardous/flammable atmospheres. Do NOT install in a hazardous/flammable atmosphere (such as in an engine roomor near fuel tanks).

My blowers always are on prior to even turning on my coach batteries and also my engine room is very large. I really want to know where the spark/ignition can come from on either of these products

thanks

Next Gen Charters
1998 Baha Cruisers 285 Weekender Hardtop
Twin Merc 350 Inboards
Raymarine a78 Wi-Fi MFD - Evolution EV-150
CHIRP DownVision,RD418D Digital Radar Dome, ClearPulse, CPT-100, SeatalkNG
(2)Lowrance NMEA 2K Fuel flow sensors, Depth Raider probe,
(3) Cannon Mag-5 Downriggers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-19, 02:17 AM
RE: ACU-150 & EV-1 Location & Questions
Hello kingspade,

I'm sorry to say that we, as the manufacturer, can't give you any other answer than that that product must not be mounted in an engine-room or similar. We have a legal responsibility and duty-of-care to make this clear.

To answer your question: the ACU150 in particular is switching large amounts of current, and neither is in an intrinsically-safe enclosure. That makes them a potential ignition source. Of course they ought not to spark, but then every airline crash and every boat fire is as a result of something that wasn't supposed to happen. You can't afford to talk about what's likely but what's possible when considering fuel vapour fires...

I would never install any product marked like this in an engine-room on my boat.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply