Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Autopilot/system cabling questions
07-10-19, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-19 09:10 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] Autopilot/system cabling questions
Hi Derek,
Thank you so much for your help to date, hopefully I am getting closer to solving the autopilot issue! I have attached a new diagram for the most recent wiring based on your input.

Since my last post I have purchased and installed a new Stlk-Stlkng converter with the most recent software. All instruments are now updated with current software. I have also had the EV1 and ACU400 bench checked by Raymarine, they checked out fine. After rewiring the instruments I performed a factory pilot reset on the P70 and performed the dockside calibration, the rudder reference indicator moved smoothly and in the proper direction (as a side note I also tried reversing the motor leads just in case they were backwards which caused the motor to oscillate rather violently so I put them in their original location and assumed the leads were correct). I then linearized the EV1 successfully with a deviation of 7 degrees. I then took the boat out to test the autopilot with the following results.

When on a steady heading in calm seas I pushed the auto button, the boat went immediately hard over to the stop to starboard, I pushed the standby button and gained control again. I also set up a waypoint in the E120 and tried to track to that waypoint with the boat going hard over to the stop to port. (note, since the autopilot has not worked since I purchased the boat and have never set up a waypoint it is possible that user error was in part responsible for the issue.)

I have a couple of questions and observations which may help you give me some additional insight into further troubleshooting.
1. The P70 and E120 both show the same heading which is within 4 or 5 degrees of the compass. The GPS position is accurate showing the boat in my slip.
2. All of the instruments appear to be supplying accurate data.
3. When diagnostics is run on the P70 all of the Seatalkng devices are shown with accurate software versions etc. The E120 is shown with what seems to be a random name but with the correct information associated with it. The ST60+ instruments are not shown.
4. The P70 shows 'track' grayed out in mode selection. When I tried to track to the waypoint the P70 showed an alarm 'No navigation data'.
5. When 'diagnostics', 'external' is run on the E120 it does not show any Seatalk or Seatalkng devices. The reply is 'no devices found'.

Q1, Where does the P70 and the E120 derive its navigation data?

Q2, Since the E120 is quite old and has been in the cockpit since installed and was originally wired to the Seatalk port I am wondering if there may be a problem with the Seatalk2 port. Is there a way to test the pins to verify data is being transfered?

As always, thank you for your help!

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Instrument Schematic 619.pdf (Size: 687.19 KB / Downloads: 247)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DG11] Autopilot/system cabling questions - Kmac - 07-10-19 07:36 AM